Polio survivor completes cross-Canada, hand-cycle journey

Staff ~ The Telegram

Flanked by police cars and followed by children on bikes, Ramesh Ferris rolled down New Gower Street today completing a journey hand-cycling across Canada to raise awareness about polio.
Ferris contracted polio as an infant in India before he was adopted by an Anglican Bishop in the Yukon. He started hand-cycling across Canada to raise awareness and money to fight the disease on April 12, and 7,110 kilometres later, he completed it today.
"Polio is now back on the forefront for Canadians," Ferris said. "We need to continue to put it back on the forefront until the world is declared polio free."
Over the course of his journey, he raised $300,000; the ceremony was attended by Lt.-Gov. John Crosbie, Mayor Dennis O'Keefe, and Human Resources, Labour and Employment Minister Shawn Skinner.

Organizations: Cross-Canada

Geographic location: Canada, New Gower Street, India Yukon

Comments

Comments

• Dianna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Ramesh, I'm so proud of you. I have a brother who got polio when he was about 3. I want him to know about you, he has had a hard life and no money. I hope to help him get a computer so he can read what others are doing with polio. Thank you and peace be with you in all you do.
    Dianna

• Rick
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

Congratulations Ramish and to everyone else for your encouragement and support. I'm sure it was a great journey. I am envious of you and wish I could have joined you for the rest of the trip from the Soo.
    I have heard advertisements on the radio (Soo Michigan station) about how we are able to eradicate Polio through helping/supporting Rotary Clubs. Every time I hear the advertisement, I think of your journey and mission.
    All the best for your next endeavour.
    Rick

• Tina
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I am from the Yukon and have 2 sisters how also suffered from Polio as young women and left affected the rest of their lives. All I can say is I am so proud of Ramesh and what he has done. Way to go!!!!!!

• Dianna
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

Dianna

• Rick
    July 01, 2010 - 20:18

All the best for your next endeavour.
    Rick