Comments

Comments

• William
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

This is sad. These two men are pillar volunteers in the sporting community. They have always been there to provide financial help to school age and junior sporting teams, providing funds, equipment, uniforms, etc. John & Jim deserve to see their dream built.
    I hope everything works out for you guys.

• Pen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

This is sad really. It seems like its one thing after the other when it comes to soccer in this province.

• Timboy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:29

I was surprised to read this story as I was under the impression that the fitness centre of excellence off Crosbie Rd. was also to have indoor soccer facilities.

I totally support this man in very way as a former soccer player I know we hated playing some tournaments on concrete hockey rinks in the spring!. Hope it all works out well. Anyway good luck to Mr. Buckingham

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

On the bright side, at least you have Mile One stadium you can use in a pinch, if it isn't booked up!

Seriously, just quit fighting where you live! Take up a sport that you can play outdoors in wind, sleet and fog.

World champs, baby!

• Flippy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I drove by this thing many a time and thought this was the proverbial straw house. I pondered why anyone would time the construction of this thing to be at this vulnerable stage in the middle of a Newfoundland January.

He probably should've hired a good structural engineer, who knows this province's climate, to do the planning. As it stands (or lays) now, it looks like some engineering firm has done some damage to their reputation. Imagine, not anticipating the unpredictability of a Newfoundland winter...

It's too bad he had everything he owned riding on this thing. I guess if you want to make big money you must take big chances (but not foolish ones). Nice effort though.

• GD
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

You foolish NL people - not even able to prevent this

• Saddened
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

This is terrible. The province of Newfoundland has such potential as being a very competitive at national level (as seen at the Jubilee Cup) but it is just lacking resources.

With the advent of the Crosbie Road training center and John and Jim's indoor facility it is on the right road to bringing NL soccer up to speed.

We need to be able to train our athletes year round like the rest of the country. I truly hope that John and Jim don't give up on this dream of theirs. The soccer community of NL needs this and we appreciate everything that they have done.

I hope they get some funding from the powers that be to get this back on track.

• J
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

This is really sad, I actually live across the street from this area and I watched them break ground, put up the steel and with a gust of wind she comes tumbling down. What a sin. Good thing no one was hurt. Good luck John and Jim with your dream.

July 02, 2010 - 13:08

Thank goodness no loss of life.

it would probaly have gone down in a similar wind storm with young children playing inside.

And now that th especial weather contract with AMEC shows they couldn't/didn't forecast the awful rain last month, this wind storm could have been missed.

Just awful, but thank god no children were crushed inside.

• William
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

I hope everything works out for you guys.

• Pen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Timboy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

World champs, baby!

• Flippy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• GD
    July 01, 2010 - 20:13

You foolish NL people - not even able to prevent this

• Saddened
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

I hope they get some funding from the powers that be to get this back on track.

• J
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

July 01, 2010 - 19:43

Thank goodness no loss of life.

Just awful, but thank god no children were crushed inside.