Worst driver search coming to Newfoundland

Staff ~ The Telegram

Television

Producers are coming to St. John's on a mission. Somewhere in amongst the black ice, slush and whiteout conditions, they're hopping to find the city's worst driver.

Members of the "Canada's Worst Driver" team will be coming to town in April searching for that special, inept motorist to represent the province in the show's fifth season.

Andrew Younghusband is host of the television show "Canada's Worst Driver," which is again looking for nominees for its fifth season. - Telegram file photo

"At the end of the show, someone will be given the title of 'Canada's Worst Driver' but more importantly, a handful of the country's worst drivers will be exposed to skills that they can use in everyday situations," said host Andrew Younghusband.

So the next time someone cuts you off, don't waste your time with foul words, just send a nomination to "driver@propertelevision.com"

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Canada, St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Tom and Dave; I beg to differ. I have also driven in both areas; St. John's and Corner Brook. Everyone here thinks that speed is the name of the game and God forbid you have to stop at an actual red light! Every day I drive home I see people trying to beat the red light, getting stuck in the traffic ahead of them and then they are trapped across all lanes so no one can move. The light turns green for the other lanes and NO ONE can move. Idiots.

• B
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

This whole show could be based in Calgary. With Motor Vehicle being privatized you can practically buy your licence. From the asian people stopping to use their cellphone in the middle of the street(while driving), to the 400 accidents after a couple of centimeters of snow, no signal lights, excessive speeding, refusing to let people merge, and driving on the highway doing 30KM/H with their emergency flashers on, this place is a real riot. Also does turning on your hazard lights enable you to stop anywhere you please?

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

You're ALL wrong. The worst drivers are in Fort McMurray. Nobody knows what a signal light is for and beating the red light is a macho thing to do.

• John W.
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

May I say that I have driven across Canada, down in the US and many times in Eurpoe.

Trust me when I say, there are crazy drivers everywhere. Why do you think insurance rates are sky high, accidents as well, etc.

Every time you get in a car to drive, you are at the mercy of the others on the road. And it will never change.

As for this tv show mentioned, it's just another piece of crap that you see when you turn on the tube. How some people are so desperate to make a buck in any way they can, is beyond me.

• JK
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I would think that the truly bad drivers kill people. And the really bad ones kill many people. How come they do not make that into a tv show?

• Sheldon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I don't think the signal light has been introduced in goose bay yet.

• Len
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

And what makes them think the worst driver would be confined only to St. John's? Newfoundland is a big province, dosen't anyone else drive on the island outside of St. John's?

• Steve
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

It won't be very hard to find an inept motorist, driving around the streets of St.John's and surrounding areas!

• Cut
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Hehehe. This should be fun. Think people should grab taxi and RNC car numbers to submit.

And whats with people in St. Johns and not entering the correct lane. Why must people cross lanes when turning? Think it must be something in the water to make people forget how to drive here. Taxi and RNC drivers seem to be the worse for this infraction and are on the road more then others. Yikes!!!

Example - turning from the left lane, you do not cross the nearest lane and cut off oncoming traffic people since you want the curb lane. Use the proper lane then singnal to enter the curb land after your turn. Good Lord.

• MommyGummi
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

I've watched all 4 seasons of this show, & I think its scary that there are drivers like that, who are actually given a license to drive!! I know for a fact that there are people driving on the roads all over our province that shouldn't be allowed to drive a bicycle, let alone a motorized vehicle. I've driven across the country several times, and the drivers in NL are the most ignorant, with the exception of Quebec.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

To Angelica: Have you ever driven outside St. John's? Try going to Corner Brook; some of the worst drivers I have ever seen. Very frightening what I've witnessed some of those drivers do!!!

• Manda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

.......................LMFAO........................
    that would be so cool and freakin funny ...theres so many here in newfieland ........hahhahha

• Angelica
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

Because outside of St. John's, there are VERY GOOD drivers.

• Karen
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Tom and Dave: I beg to differ. At least everyone in Corner Brook doesn't drive twice the speed limit and constantly try to run red lights, knowing the light is about to change and then they'll be sitting across all of the lanes and blocking off traffic. I see it EVERY DAY I drive home. It has gotten worse. God forbid anyone wait at a red light for a few seconds. Speed is the name of the game out here.

Trust me, I have driven in both areas as well and know.

• Tailgater
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Hey George from Fort Mac, you do realize that the reason you think Fort Mac has the worst drivers is because the population is 90% newfies!!! Hahaha. Just kidding. I'm guilty of bad driving like all the rest of yea but at least I'm admitting it. From time to time I tailgate but it's because those in the fast lane like to hog it instead of yielding to the right. If anyone has seen this show, there are some really bad drivers out there. I'm sure there'd be no trouble getting a cast to populate this tv show. Although I'm sure they'll but the newfie twist on it and make us the laughing stock of the country, once again!

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

Angelica from NL writes: Because outside of St. John's, there are VERY GOOD drivers.

Oh Angelica, I beg to differ!!! I would take my chances walking and driving in St John's moreso than anywhere else in Newfoundland and Labrador. There are some bad drivers in St John's but they, on average, are worse in Corner Brook and especially on the Burin Peninsula. I have been driving in St John's and all over this island for 20 years and the drivers in Corner Brook and Marystown take the cake.

I have seen this show in the past and knowing what people in Corner Brook and Marystown drive like, a resident from there would have won this contest by a wide-load tractor-trailer!!

• Aaaa
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Oh you people always find something to complain and whine about. As a pedestrian who works on one of the busiest intersections in St. John's, I fear for my life daily because of St. John's terrible drivers. They're everywhere....The TV show is not just singling out St. John's on purpose, it just would make much sense to do a TV show in a rural community of Newfoundland where there's hardly any traffic. Would it make sense to you guys that St. John's was chosen in particular because its the big city in Newfoundland? Relax! Its just a newspaper article. I suppose you guys blame this one on Danny as well?

• Funky
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

In St. John's, people have an option when they buy a new vehicle to have either the signal lights or horn installed. Most people choose the later.

• Cathy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Can I nominate my mother?

• Lotty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Gee it is some easy to get you people riled up? All it takes is to toss in a St.John's vs. rest of NL comment....and you all eat it up. Some funny though...touchy touchy. Besides, no one is gonna watch this 'show' anyway. Also, usually the Bad driver in any given town is the person Not from that town who don't know their way around. THE END.

• Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Check drivers'licenses. If they're from St. John's, theres a candidate. A winner.

• newfoundlander
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

so true some of the worst drivers live in corner brook, drivers from Deer Lake take the cake. Never ever seen anything like it. I travel to Deer Lake a couple times a year to watch the Red Wings play and they dont even know hoe to park. HAHA
    I also think after a particular age like 60, they should be made to take a driver test every year.

• Funky
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

Ohhhh I get it. When there is something good in the province, townies think it can only be found in St. John's. When people are looking for something bad...they don't have any in St. John's and you'll find most of it outside of the overpass. Makes sense to me.

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Karen; I lived in Corner Brook for over 20 years and have driven in most major cities in Canada. Trust me, Corner Brook drivers are the worst by far - even by St. John's standards. I have even seen people turn left at a green light and then stop in the middle of the intersection because the light in the other direction is red - talk about idiots!!!!

• Mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

What with the lazy left/right turns (into the outside lane instead of the inside lane), speeding, no seatbelts, cellphone use while driving, cutting people off, not using turn signals, trying to beat yellow lights, running red lights, cutting into turning lanes well before markings, tailgaiting...there should be a bigger line-up to get on this show than there are at job fairs for Alberta!

• Ted
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

Does anyone actually watch this awful TV show? For that matter, other than news / sports, does anyone ever watch any Canadian-made TV programs? Canadian Television has always been hopeless. Viewers are constantly subject to this crap, which would otherwise, never seeing the light of day in a free market. We have Canadian Content Regulations to thank for that. When are regulators going to realize that these rules will not encourage viewers to watch this stuff? Furthermore, it does nothing but encourage more bad programming. Like all free market products let them stand on their own merits and let the viewing audience (which there isn't one) decide the fate of these programs.

All I can say is thank god for cable!

• Noibns
    July 02, 2010 - 13:08

If they want to find the worst driver(s), the buddy needs to hit Halifax in a big way. At least most Newfoundlanders can function after a millimetre of snow.

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• B
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• John W.
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• JK
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Sheldon
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

I don't think the signal light has been introduced in goose bay yet.

• Len

July 01, 2010 - 20:13

• Manda
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

.......................LMFAO........................

• Angelica
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

Because outside of St. John's, there are VERY GOOD drivers.

• Karen
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

Trust me, I have driven in both areas as well and know.

• Tailgater
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

• Dave
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Aaaa
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Funky
    July 01, 2010 - 20:06

• Cathy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:04

Can I nominate my mother?

• Lotty
    July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• newfoundlander
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Funky
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

• Tom
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Mike
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Ted
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

All I can say is thank god for cable!

• Noibns