Record-setting day

Kenn Oliver

Harvey, Fewer continue winning ways

History repeated itself yet again Sunday with pre-race favourites Colin Fewer and Lisa Harvey defending their titles in the 82nd running of the Telegram 10-Mile Road Race.

For Harvey, who completed the 16-kilometre distance in a time of 57 minutes and 41 seconds, it was her fourth consecutive women's title, tying her with Colleen Martin's record of four straight from 1976-1979.

The race is on. Runners work their way down Topsail Road in Paradise near the beginning of the race. - Photo by Gary Hebbard/The Telegram

Local running standouts Kate Vaughan (59:03) and Caroline McIlroy (59:50) finished second and third respectively.

Fewer, who joined some legendary company with his fourth win in a row in 2008, further cemented his legacy into Tely 10 lore with No. 5. His time of 50:41 puts him in a tie with six-time winner Harold St. Croix for 13th on the event's best times list.

Following Fewer was runner-up Graydon Snider (52:46), a McGill university track and cross-country runner, and three-time winner Trevor O'Brien (53:02), a former national team athlete of Paradise.

While neither runner was able to top the respective male and female top times - held by Paul McCloy (47:04) and Nicola Will (55:47) - the race itself set some new bench marks. A record 2,604 individuals registered with a staggering 2,476 crossing the finish line at Bannerman Park.

"We've been really fortunate that for the last 15 years the race has been growing steadily," says Newfoundland and Labrador Athletics Association technical director George Stanoev. "Last year, it still grew, but not at the same pace we expected. So we did a little bit of catch up this year. I would say around a 20 per cent improvement."

And like 2008, female competitors outnumbered their male counterparts. By race's end, 144 more females had crossed the finish line.

What's more, the time recorded by four of the race's top women are among the top 17 ever produced. Only Fewer was able to crack the men's top 25.

"That's where the numbers are coming, the race is growing in a large degree thanks to female participation."

The most marked difference from the 81st running were the weather conditions. Light showers and mist accompanied by a cool headwind from the east made for near ideal conditions as compared to the humidity and warm, high winds that tested the masses in 2008.

"It was the best we've had since we moved the date a few years ago from two weeks earlier. Best I've ever had it," remarked five-time winner McCloy, who finished seventh overall in a time of 55 minutes and 56 seconds. "There was a headwind, but not unbearably warm or humid. It was actually quite nice."

According to Stanoev, just 11 competitors required attention from St. John Ambulance volunteers, with none needing serious medical care.

Stanoev, who drove the route for the first time in a few years, also remarked this year's race drew record crowds.

"There were cheering zones, lots of signage, as a matter of fact, there was one family setting up a table with bottled water in addition to the water stations."

Stanoev said, again, the support of the volunteers and the communities was unparalleled.

"This year has been tremendous and we've really seen improvement as far as the road closures, barricades and signage. It really helped all the runners."

koliver@thetelegram.com

Organizations: Telegram 10-Mile Road Race, McGill university, Newfoundland and Labrador Athletics Association

Geographic location: Bannerman Park

Comments

Comments

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Einstein, there you go again making a comment to draw response. 2600 participants are a big handful and I ceratinly wouldn't call myself or most of the Tely 10 runners fitness fanatics although it beats being a couch potato.

• runner2361
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

With regards to crowd control, there can only be so much that the organizers can do when it comes to that. I only encountered a couple of bodies crossing the streets with poor timing. frustrating yes, but when running through a metropolitan area, you're going to get that.
    I do want to thank those that cheered everybody on and helped out with the event. When I left the race, I took with me the memories of those that kept everyone's morale up. It was fabulous and you kept my first-time Tely 10 experience a touching one. Thank you!!

• Kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Allan, while your complaints may be valid, why not try to give some suggestions instead of just complaining? I am sure the organizing committee will be taking all of the areas that need improvement into consideration for next year.

• allan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Mr. Stanoev, you must have missed the terrible job of crowd control near the finish line on Bannerman st. Ive seen 6 races and it was the worst Ive seen. More than several times people crossed in front of runners tying to finish the race. It may not have affected the elite runners, but the races survives on the other 2 thousand runners.
    Also the line up to retrieve personal effects from the bus with the highest race numbers was totally unacceptable

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I agree with Yellowshirt. I ran the race and did not encounter any problems, only support from the spectators. There are always going to be some people who seem to lack common sense including a cameraman in the middle of the road but it's hard for 10 miles to have tight security in a race that relies so heavily on volunteers.

• Shayne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

The race was exciting and as a volunteer it was absolutely amazing to be a part of. Hearing the stories of training and of perseverence were awe-inspiring. For people who choose to cast a negative light instead of offering constructive criticism, you really should think before you click send. I'm sure when the various organizing groups meet they will have there lists for areas improvement ready and the 83rd will be even bigger and better. I'm sure Randy Ball and the rest of the gang will welcome more volunteer support as larger race events around the country seem to have little problem gathering support. Thank you to all the runners and fans for such a great event. Witnessing so many people give their all to finish and have a beaming smile at the end of it speaks volumes on the positive impact that this event has on community pride and spirit.

• mike
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Way to go cous!!!!!!!!!

• 1st timer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Einstein: why bother wasting your precious time commenting on an event that you perceive as a waste of time and money
    As a person new to running, it was a personal goal to be able to run and complete the Tely. I am by no means a fitness fanatic... this race kept me motivated to stay active for the past 3 months.
    And I would hardly call over 2600 registrants a handful of people.
    Congrats to all those who participated, and a huge thank you to all of the volunteers who made the even possible!

• Yellowshirt
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

Allan,
    While it is great to see the number of entries increase each year, unfortunately the number of volunteers has not kept pace. If you don't like how things are going, please join us and help change things for next year! Just sitting on your thumbs complaining isn't going to do much. As for the crowd control, spectators need to take some responsibility too. Some people will not listen and are dead set on crossing when they want. Selfishness and laziness is what comes down to.

I encourage all those for enjoy this race to come volunteer! Over the years I have met some great interesting people, had tons of fun, and had access to behind the scenes/closed areas with some of the best views of the race!

See you next year, I'll be the guy in the yellow shirt!

• Alex
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

I registered for the race but received a dummy chip . So I didn't get a gun or chip time. In fact my name wasn't even on the finishers list! Pretty upset that I never got my time. Just the (bad) luck of the draw.

Anyone else get a dummy chip?

Any chance of a refund or what?

• j
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

The race was once again well organized and an overall fabulous event. I can't think of another road race anywhere else that draws such community involvement. The dedicated volunteers deserve a pat on the back. Thank you, and I'll be back next year (again).

• Third
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I wonder why the results published in the special flyer of the Telegram has the gun times vs the official chip times ? I know this number is equal for the elite runners (or very close) but when you get to the back of the pack the number can be considerably different - mine varied by 3 minutes. Just curious.

And in reply to Einstein (ironic?) I wonder how much money you donated to this race? The greatest investment is time - by the volunteers, the runners, the supporters. If you knew me, and many like me, you would know I am the furthest from a fitness fanatic that you can possibly be. Believe me, there is no showing off of how fit most of us are when we get to that finish line. We are just trying to stay standing and catch our breath. Thank you to all the volunteers and organizers - a stellar job as always - and I LOVE the new t-shirts!

• Einstein
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

It's a waste of time and money.

Yes, it gives a handful of fitness fanactics a chance to show off how they fit they are.

• David

July 01, 2010 - 20:03

• mike
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

Way to go cous!!!!!!!!!

• 1st timer
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

And I would hardly call over 2600 registrants a handful of people.

• Yellowshirt
    July 01, 2010 - 19:59

Allan,

See you next year, I'll be the guy in the yellow shirt!

• Alex
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

Anyone else get a dummy chip?

Any chance of a refund or what?

• j
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Third
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

• Einstein
    July 01, 2010 - 19:55

It's a waste of time and money.