Boy critically injured when dirtbike collides with pickup

Staff ~ The Telegram

A 13-year-old boy was critically injured in Grand Falls-Windsor Sunday when he crossed a road on his dirtbike and collided with a pickup towing a fifth wheel.
The boy was transported to the Health Sciences Centre in St. John's and RCMP say the extent of his injuries is not known at this time.
The accident occurred about 11:45 a.m. Sunday. The boy is from Bishop's Falls.
There were no other injuries in the accident.

Organizations: Health Sciences Centre, RCMP

Geographic location: St. John's

Comments

Comments

• Angela
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Jackie B I've had to jam on my 'breaks' (brakes) for people who can't drive cars or read posted signs more than a few times to avoid accidents with them as well. Luckily, I've stopped texting and putting on lipstick while driving so I can be more attentive to what's happening outside my vehicle.

• Stan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

bad stuff. it happens way too often.

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

Some parents apparantly will never learn that kids should not be operating these machines.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

A, you missed my point. My point was that children should not be operating motorized machines. Once you are permitted to drive a car, then you should be permitted to drive these machines. Not before. Simple as that.

• A
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

Dave, I must of missed some of the details in the above article. I don't remember seeing anywhere that states that the accident was a result of his age or his ability to operate the machine. Yes it is horrible that it has happened, but it was an accident and can happen to people of all ages. Accidents can happen doing anything at any time. Should parents stop letting their children do anything which could possibly result in them getting in an accident? Maybe they shouldn't be allowed to ride a paddle bike? I mean they can get hit by a car too? Or wait, maybe you shouldn't travel with you children in the car because there is the possibility that you could be involved in an accident (not necessairly your fault) and they could get hurt. The point I'm trying to make is that accidents do happen, and it's horrible when anyone gets hurt, especially someone young. But you shouldn't jump to conclusions and assume it occured because of his age.

And when will people (Yeah you b) learn to be sensitive to people feelings when posting on these sites? I'm sure the parents are going through a lot right now and the last thing they need is comments like that.

All the best.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

When are people in this province going to learn that these machines (dirtbike, atv, etc...) are not toys and should not be operated by children? It is crazy that these tragic events continue to happen.

• Mr. Juanabee
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Wow - what's going on in GFW? Some horrible accidents there in the past few days.

• Willie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Down my way there are near misses with bikes and vehicles all day long. Eventually, your luck runs out. Kids will be kids.

Willie Hunt
    Pouch Cove NL

• Jackie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

This 13-year old was apparently accompanied by an adult, so it's not really kids being kids . Though I do think these fun machines should stay off the roads! I've had to jam on my breaks more than a few times to avoid accidents with them.

• Angela
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• Stan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

bad stuff. it happens way too often.

• b