Clarke, Proudfoot stay clean, alone in first

Staff ~ The Telegram

TARGA NEWFOUNDLAND

The rain threatened to bless Targa Newfoundland competitors for Leg 2 Tuesday, but the skies cleared and left drivers and spectators cheering by the end of the day.

The sun even peeked out for the jewel of the stage - lunch at Leading Tickles. Although, the drivers would likely argue the day's final run through the streets of Gander was the real treasure.

This Porsche 911, driven by Michael Stoschek of Coburg, Germany and Philipp Spaeth of Lake Orion, Mich., is in third place in the Targa Newfoundland standings, three seconds off the lead. - Targa Newfoundland photo

With the second day in the books, the overall lead has solidified, unofficially, with Glen Clarke and stage homeboy Andy Proudfoot logging the soul zero for the day on that final stage.

Division leaders also emerged at the end of the long day, with Clarke's Porsche 911 Carrera leading in Classic. Steve Millen and navigator Mike Montiello has the best time in Modern, accumulating six seconds of penalty.

The Touring class proved a challenge as well, although there are still eight teams with no penalty points.

Five cars didn't make it back to the Gander Community Centre Tuesday, mostly succumbing to the rigours of the Newfoundland roads. The Subaru Impreza of Roger Tillotson and Steve Robertson tolled off the course in Pleasentview. Navigator Robertson was injured, but he was sharing his new war story, with a laugh, beside a very injured car carrying its latest sign, which read Yard Sale.

Leg 3 begins this morning with a stage in Mainpoint, and finishes off in Marystown.

Owned by Newfoundland International Motorsports Limited and operated by Targa Newfoundland Motorsport Club, Targa Newfoundland is one of three internationally recognized Targa motorsports events in the world.

The eighth annual Targa Newfoundland started in St. John's and will end there after covering more than 2,000 kilometres of roads of the central and eastern portion of the island of Newfoundland over six days. This includes up to 400 kilometres of closed-road, flat-out Targa stages.

Competitors have come from the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Germany, Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas and the United Kingdom.

Organizations: Gander Community Centre, Newfoundland International Motorsports, Targa Newfoundland Motorsport Club

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Leading Tickles, Gander Pleasentview Mainpoint Marystown St. John's U.S. Australia New Zealand Ireland Germany Bahamas United Kingdom

Comments

Comments

• Taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Well b, of course it wasn't the only route to the Health sciences. I had to turn around at the Holiday Inn and go back down to Elizabeth ave. and take that route. My point is that this is one of the few remaining targa events in the world, because the other venues have banned it, for good reason. We have become a playground for those individuals who want to play with their expensive toys on our public roads. As i said, if this was any other auto racing event these clowns wouldn't come close, but because we let them drive down public roads at high speeds they say, hey why not. I think it's idiocy, and it will continue until some fan is mowed down. Point made?

• Taxpayer
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

I wanted to drive to the hospital last Sunday, but the parkway was closed so these clowns could drive their cars on roadways that my taxes pay for.
    Why can't we have a ralley like the WRC, on dirt, and back roads? Because no one would come. The fatcats come because this is one of the last places on the planet where people are dumb enough to let it occur.

• Norma
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

On Monday we were driving from St. John's to Gander and thought we'd take a side trip to Salvage to see the place that so many people rave about.

At Eastport there were people on the road side wielding long strips of plastic in the wind. We thought the town must have had an event in the morning and were winding it up. We drove on.

Arriving back in Eastport from Salvage, we saw more women standing on the road side. This time we stopped to inquire what was happening. We were informed that it was a Targa road race. Well, we'll just get on with our journey then, we said.

Oh no, said the lady. Not so fast. This road is closed. For the next two hours!

And with that she proceeded to pull a strip of crime scene tape across the bridge. So we sat. For two hours. Hijacked by Targa in Eastport.

And all for the want of a sign. If there had been any sign at the highway or even a sign at the entrance to Eastport of what was about to transpire, we would have gladly turned around and continued on our way.

A fellow I spoke to as we wended our way through the traffic jam after the race said that the race had been advertised for months and that we should have known about it. I let him know in no uncertain terms that we couldn't have known, since we were not from there.

Other cars with non-NL licence plates, as well as a loaded fish truck, were among the hijacked. I wonder what an ambulance would have done.

• Angelica
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Targa is a GOOD idea. I don't know why there are so many who oppose it. It's a rich man's sport perhaps, but it puts a smile on many faces. I love looking at all those jazzed up cars. I also enjoy the replays on TV, trying to see if I can spot someone I know cheering the boys on, or maybe see a house of someone I know.... Get your heads out of your @sses and have a little fun with this!

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

I really can't see what all the fuss is about Targa??? Who is really watching this stuff anyway?

• P
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

99%of this article is word-by-word verbatim from the news section of the Targa Newfoundland website? The photo is noted as being from Targa Newfoundland, but not the whole article as well. My compliments to your sports department Telegram for web browsing done at its finest.

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Taxpayer from NL writes: Yes, the wealthy love to come to good ole' newfie so they can tear around our streets in their cars. What a joke we are to the rest of the world. I can hear the American fatcats now Did you hear that there's a place in Canada where they are so stupid that they let you drive like a mad man all over their streets?
    /////////////////////////////////////////////////

Awww your just crooked because you were not allowed to play on the road for a short period of time. By the way, the authorities would not allow the blockage of traffic to a hospital, your obviously skeewing the facts to make your idiotic LACK of a point, now go back to your corner and pout, let the rest of us enjoy the event.

• Taxpayer
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• Taxpayer
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Norma
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

Oh no, said the lady. Not so fast. This road is closed. For the next two hours!

• Angelica