Opposition says deplorable road conditions in Black Tickle must be addressed

Staff ~ The Telegram

Opposition Leader Yvonne Jones alleges that Black Tickle's deplorable road conditions are being ignored by the Department of Transportation and Works.
Jones said Black Tickle is an isolated community with a poor transportation network to the outside world. The only road infrastructure in the Labrador town, she said, is a low-grade gravel road that runs a few kilometres.
"The people of Black Tickle, and myself as MHA, have made several attempts over the past few years to have these unacceptable road conditions upgraded," Jones said. "There has been absolutely no maintenance done on the road, not even grading work.
"The conditions are so bad that the local nursing clinic has stopped transporting patients over the road due to safety concerns. In a community that is having problems attracting teachers and other professionals, this is just another deterrent and example of how this government is ignoring the needs of rural Newfoundland and Labrador."

Organizations: Department of Transportation and Works

Geographic location: Black Tickle, Newfoundland and Labrador

Comments

Comments

• Tom
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Well all the agruments above deriding rural NFLD and arguing if 100 people live somewhere why should they get a million in capital works and tax money etc would be brilliant except for one thing....the same agrument has been used aginst NFLD in the rest of Canada since 1949. Think about it folks, I have lived away from NFLD now for over 15 years and y'all are still cutting each other down, townioe vs baymen, left vs right, union vs non union rich vs poor, working vs pension. Who can say they are better off today as a result of the stupid back biting and jealousies, those that talk a good talk and those that actually do something about issues are far and few in between. Just an observation but when you leave NFLD and LAB you are neither of the categories above but referred to as a NEWF, Newfie etc. Some say it with admiration, care and some say it derisively and with scorn. All I am saying is that if you turn on and undermine each other it makes those elected to provide good public policy and public services have to work less hard for thier money. How come everyone is a patriotic newfoundlander when the mainlanders come knocking but in the between time you gleefully shite on each other?

• Seamus
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Listen guys, this debate about rural needs has been going on for so long. Your tax dollars are the same and so you should get the same services? If you do that then everyone's level of services go down. St. Johns gets the most attention because St. John's and it's people contirbute the most money. Your right, not per person, but when you have a community with 100 people paying say $1000 dollars in taxes a year how can you justify giving them a $1,000,000.00 dollars in services when they only paid 1/10 of that. The truth is, St. John's and it's people are actually subsuduzing the majority of what you have at there own detriment as it is. P Rose is right, you choose to live i isolation you cannot have the luxuries of a big city. Nowehere else in the world does things that way why would we?

• Poor MHA
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Every road in the province sucks. But we are a have province and have better roads than any province in Canada. So I have no idea what they could be talking about. With all this wealth how can people complain about anything? Did everyone just wake up and take a bottle of stupid pills or something?

We would not want to waste all the revenue from oil royalties on silly roads would we? Why put people to work when MHA's have not trouble swallowing up a pay increase of close to $10,000 per year? I know people in this province that do not even see $10,000 a year let alone grant themselves an increase like that.

Fix the roads yourself. You have the money.

• Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

This is just Yvonne's way of justifying her big pay raise.

• Bones II
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

HAHAHA...Of all of the important issues affecting health, occupation, local industry, fuel, seniors, and recent MHA raises - oh wait, she got the raise too, so I understand that much, lol. Is the best our official opposition can come up with to speak to The Telegram about is the condition of the road to Black Tickle?!?! WTF is a Black Tickle? lol

I guess she doesn't hear any comments or read any news forums containing haters talking about NL's looming destruction at the hands of DD? lol Shouldn't her support staff be warning her of such things so action can be taken to halt our impending....progress? lol Wouldn't she s**t if DD decided to pave the road to Black Tickle? lol

• JIM
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

We live in a small community with a full time population of 12 people and we are all senior citizens . Back a number of years ago the dept. of transportation stopped doing maintenance on the road leading to ourcommunity. We formed a small committee of volunteers comprising of residents and cabin owners in the area and formed a road maintenance committee. Each year for a very small fee which is voluntary donated the small road is graded twice a year and is plowed when it is neccessary at no cost to the goverment. The people of Nfld. were always independent but it seems like we complain about the smallest thing. To the people of Black Tickle Labrador form a small committee and you will be surprised to find out how little it costs .

• Juanita
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

I live in Conception Bay South. When your family doctor advises you not to drive along the main road in CBS because it may aggrivate your back problem, that's a red flag to me that something needs to be done. Every time a new house goes up, a bite gets taken out of the main road to hook up water and sewer. It's gotten to the point that it feels like a very bad roller coaster. And the area in front of the vila nova shopping area is just deplorable. More money needs to be put in the main road by Transportation and Works. If not, more people like me will suffer and more ashphalt will be torn up by ploughs in the winter.

• Leroy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

It isn't just the roads in rural Newfoundland that are deplorable - has anybody driven on Pearltown Road in Kilbride? I did just last week and I bounced around that much, I forgot where I was going. I am a townie and I personally think rural NL are getting the crappy end of the shaft.

• James
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

So, P Rose, why should people who live in outports have to pay for *our* roads, transit, sewage, hospitals, schools, etc.? Oh I dont know. Maybe because it's part of living in a civilized society.

• Wait...
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Hey P Rose. So I guess we should just burn the entire island save for St. Johns. That make ya happy?

I for one will be getting out of St. Johns as soon as I can. I would rather live with little to no services and crappy roads if it gets me away from negative people like you.

But remember, my tax dollars are the same as yours, and for that I and all the others deserve the same level of service for our dollar. You are no better. Get use to it.

• P
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

And why is this community even there ? How about I take my family and go live on an isolated cliff somewhere (you did say isolated didn't you Yvonne?) in the middle of nowhere and start whining about not having a hospital, an x-ray clinic, blood services, paved roads... This is just RETARDED.

• Brenda
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Wait... What? from St. Johns, NL why spend more money on a community than comes out of it in tax dollars ? If this is another self-directed longterm care / retirement community facility ON the taxpayer dollar producing nothing to put into the provincial coffers, it's throwing good money after bad.

Yvonne knows and expects nothing to come about on her calls for road improvement, she's just shoring up her supporters. Talk is cheap and she'll eventually let it drop and blow over without getting anything accomplished.

And as for you, you won't be away from anything. You'll still be here in the Telegram commentary, so your moot threat of leaving St. John's has nothing to do with avoiding anybody.

And no one can expect the same level of service regardless of where they live. You are completely, COMPLETELY wrong on that point. If I lived in Canada's most northern point, can I expect the same level of government services as if I lived in Toronto ? That's totally unrealistic.

• Anita
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Juanita K from NL driving is a priviledge not a right.

If your back is that bad, what business do you have driving anyways ? Call an ambulance and add to our health care burden. I bet your back is bad due to bad lifestyle choices and that you are overweight if not obese, which is causing those problems.

Call 911 and ask for an ambulance.

• Rusty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Anita from NL....you my dear are an ignoramous. Go spew your garbage elsewhere or keep your ignorant thoughts to yourself.

• Joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Fix up roads in rural NL? Don't be stupid.
    That would be taking a lot of money out of
    politicians' trough'

• Tom
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

• Seamus
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Poor MHA
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

Fix the roads yourself. You have the money.

• Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

This is just Yvonne's way of justifying her big pay raise.

• Bones II

• P
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Brenda
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• Anita
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

Juanita K from NL driving is a priviledge not a right.

Call 911 and ask for an ambulance.

• Rusty
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Joe
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

Fix up roads in rural NL? Don't be stupid.
    That would be taking a lot of money out of