Opposition doesnt buy reason Oram stepping down

Staff ~ The Telegram

Health Minister Paul Oram was probably pushed into resigning, suggests Opposition Liberal MHA Kelvin Parsons.
"I think there's more to this resignation than meets the eye," said Parsons, reacting to the news, as Liberal Leader Yvonne Jones is travelling and unavailable.
Parsons said his observations of Oram as an MHA and minister and in the House is Oram is the "most combative individual MHA I have encountered."
Oram claimed blood pressure is his reason for leaving government, but also blamed the media for hounding him and his family.
But Parsons said he's used the media in the past for his own purposes, such as slagging other politicians.
"Mr. Oram has a far tougher skin than he puts on. He's extremely combative in the house. He's been known to juggle eight or 10 balls in business at one time," Parsons said.
Parsons speculated that there was a falling out.
"The premier no doubt has been disturbed by what's going on in the department since he has been there," Parsons said, noting Oram didn't go to a less stressful portfolio or out of cabinet, but is leaving the government altogether.
Further updates later and full coverage in Thursday's print edition.

Comments

Comments

• A B C D
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

I agree 100%. A B C D Anyone But Crazy Danny.

• Voter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Good riddance!!!!!!

• Frank M
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

I have posted on other occasions that I am not a fan of the current government and the poor resistence to it.

The acid test on the recent policy changes in health care will be reflected in the Straits by-election.

Do the Liberals even have a candidate yet?

Therein lies the problem.

• Graham
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Why can't we comment on the following story or any other arrests ? But we can comment on human trajedy which turns into a religious debate and disrepects the victim ? What message is The Telegram trying to send ?

'Update: Numerous charges laid following seizure of loaded handgun, stun guns'

• Bert
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Opposition what opposition!!!! Kelvin would be a tory a couple years ago only Danny had much better people already there.

• Craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

RE: Paul Oram's resignation...!!

What a crock of you know what. He blames personal health reasons and what he feels is inappropriate pressure from the media on his family as his reason to resign. Come one Paul...who are you trying to kid my son....surely you must have known there would be pressure from the Media before you entered politics and that it would have some impact on your family. I think, what it boils down to is he just can't handle the pressure of politics..!! If that's the case...why did you get into in the first place..!! Go home out of it....and let someone with a spin and skin like leather do what has to be done to clean up the mess in our Health Care System..!! Obviously...you ate not the man for the job. I guess that is why Dan The Man....asked you to walk away...I'm assuming that is what happened. Looks like Danny's Party is in shambles. Not good for the people of Newfoundland & Labrador considering he has so much public support. The NDP's are looking pretty good to me...!!!

• Nasty
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Gee, I have high blood pressure. I guess I would not want to face being placed into the care of the same Health Care that I just cut to pieces either. But I would leave the province to obtain quality Health Care, not over priced cry baby health care by Debbie Forwards Gang.

• A B C D
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

I agree 100%. A B C D Anyone But Crazy Danny.

• Voter
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

Good riddance!!!!!!

• Frank M
    July 01, 2010 - 20:10

Do the Liberals even have a candidate yet?

Therein lies the problem.

• Graham
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

'Update: Numerous charges laid following seizure of loaded handgun, stun guns'

• Bert
    July 01, 2010 - 20:05

• Craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

RE: Paul Oram's resignation...!!

• Nasty