Gushue ready for Pre-Trials run

Staff ~ The Telegram

Final berths for Olympic Trials up for grabs in Prince George

Brad Gushue's curling team from St. John's takes the first step towards what it hopes will be a second straight appearance in the Winter Olympic Games with the Monsanto Olympic Pre-Trials starting tonight at the CN Centre in Prince George, B.C.

Twelve men's and 12 women's teams will compete in a triple knockout, with the top four male and female rinks advancing to the Tim Hortons Canadian Curling Trials Dec. 6-13 in Edmonton.

Brad Gushue skips the third-seeded men's team at the Canadian Olympic Pre-Trials, which starts tonight in Prince George, B.C. Twelve men's and 12 women's team will be looking for berths in the Olympic Trials next month in Edmonton. Four male and four fema

Four teams - Kevin Martin, Glenn Howard, Randy Ferbey and Kevin Koe - have already qualified for the men's Trials. Women's teams with a berth already in the Trials are Jennifer Jones, Shannon Kleibrink, Cheryl Bernard and Stefanie Lawton,

Gushue, third Mark Nichols and lead Jamie Korab won the gold medal at the 2006 Torino Olympics.

Russ Howard, now skipping his own team in New Brunswick, and Mike Adam, the team's alternate, were members of the gold-medal squad. The new guy on the latest Gushue edition is second Ryan Fry.

Gushue is 30-8 on the World Curling Tour this season, kicking off with the year with back-to-back titles at the Baden, Switz. Masters and the AMJ Campbell Shorty Jenkins Classic.

At the Grey Power World Cup of Curling last month, the first of four Grand Slam events on the Tour, Gushue and Co. reached the semifinals where they lost 6-4 to Koe. After opening the event with two straight losses, Gushue rebounded, which included an 8-2 win over Martin, the reigning two-time Brier champs.

In Prince George, the winners of the A, B and C finals advance to Edmonton.

Gushue is the third-seeded team in the Pre-Trials, behind top-seeded Jeff Stoughton and No.2 seed Wayne Middaugh. Mike McEwen is the fourth-seeded player.

All four teams have a bye through the opening round. Gushue will play the winner of an opening-round game between Joel Jordison (seeded sixth) and Greg McAulay (11th).

Other men's team in the Pre-Trials are Kerry Burtnyk (No. 5), Jean-Michel MÉnard (7), Ted Appelman (8), Bob Ursel (9), Pat Simmons (10) and Jason Gunnlaugson (12).

The top-seeded women's team is Kelly Scott, followed by Sherry Middaugh, Marie-France Larouche, Michelle Englot, Heather Rankin, Rachel Homan, Crystal Webster, Cathy King, Krista McCarville, Amber Holland, Eve BÉlisle and Sherry Anderson.

Organizations: Monsanto Olympic Pre-Trials, CN Centre, World Curling Tour AMJ Campbell

Geographic location: Prince George, Edmonton, St. John's New Brunswick

Comments

Comments

• Curling Fan
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Telling It Like It Is...Team Gushue earned all the accomplishments that they got! They are the OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!!! Slaney and Norris have had amazing careers and definitely are to be included in a group of the top athletes from Newfoundland, but they have not done what the world measures as sports greatest accomplishment - an Olympic Gold Medal!

I guess you don't think that Dan Cleary should have gotten the attention he did when he won the Stanley Cup!

• b
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

I tend to agree withTelling it like it is from Mount Pearl'', the hype following TEAM Gushue's gold medal win was over the top.

• Kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:24

Frank: I appreciate you honesty, but let's not forget what our native son (Stoughton) said in 2006 about Gushue - that he didn't have a chance. Well now Gushue and Co. have an Olympic Gold Medal. So don't count them out just yet, all it takes is a good week of play, which we know the Gushue team is capable of. Best of luck to the Gushue team (glad to see Korab is back).

• Telling it like
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I've said and before and I'll say it again.

I don't have a problem with Brad Gushue....what do I have a problem with?

The Newfoundland media and those who overkilled the winning of the gold medal in the first place. But as I have stated previously, I will not dispute Brad's winning of the Order of Newfoundland her earned that.

No, I'm talking about the corporate overkill.

Let's see...there was his
    honourary degree,
    naming of the Team Gushue Highway
    naming of the St. John's Curling Club
    naming of the Mount Pearl districk
    naming of the Mount Pearl sports complex
    named head of numerous charities

While I applaud Brad's accomplishment, Im' sick of hearing about him.

FYI, John Slaney, a St. John's native is the all-time points leader for AHL defencemen....where is his arena?

Or how about Dwayne Norris? A guy who played successfully in Europe since the early/mid 90's.

Oh that's right...I forgot

The newfoundland media nor public does not reward points for second place.

• Fank Singleton
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

While I genuinely wish your native son all the best, the reality is he hasn't got a prayer of a chance of returning to the Olympics this time around. Judging by his play over the past year, he's not even in the same class as Ferbey, let alone Howard. With a bit more experience and maturity, he may have another realistic shot at it in 2014.

• Saucy Face
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Gushue's gold medal was not only Canada's first and only curling Olympic gold medal medal to date, but also Newfoundland and Labrador's only Olympic God medal in any sport.

So despite Telling It Like it is thinks, I feel that Team Gushue's awards and honours were justified and not corporate overkill.

• Margaret
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

While there's no doubt about it, TEAM
    Gushue are great curlers, I still do not think they would have won the Gold Medal in the Olympics, except for Howard. He had to advise Brad more than a couple of times about a bad call he was going to make.
    Brad, this time around be a Team Player,
    and don't do anything foolish or stupid, just for your OWN glory

• Frank Singelton
    July 02, 2010 - 13:11

Don't get me wrong, I really like Gushue and if he and his team was to repeat as Gold medal champions, it would be the highlight of not only this Olympics, but for the history of Canadian Curling in general.

He's a young man with the potential of many great curling moments ahead, but I honestly can see him getting to the Vancouver Olympics. That being said, if he does make it past the likes of Stoughton, Middaugh and Howard then the gold medal will be his.

What an amazing moment for all of Canada that would be!

• Curling Fan
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

• b
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

• Kevin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:09

• Telling it like
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

I've said and before and I'll say it again.

I don't have a problem with Brad Gushue....what do I have a problem with?

No, I'm talking about the corporate overkill.

Let's see...there was his
    honourary degree,
    naming of the Team Gushue Highway
    naming of the St. John's Curling Club
    naming of the Mount Pearl districk
    naming of the Mount Pearl sports complex
    named head of numerous charities

While I applaud Brad's accomplishment, Im' sick of hearing about him.

Oh that's right...I forgot

The newfoundland media nor public does not reward points for second place.

• Fank Singleton
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Saucy Face
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Margaret
    July 01, 2010 - 19:49

While there's no doubt about it, TEAM
    Brad, this time around be a Team Player,
    and don't do anything foolish or stupid, just for your OWN glory

• Frank Singelton
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

What an amazing moment for all of Canada that would be!