Comments

Comments

• Clint
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

To the fishy posting.
    Have you ever been on a burning fishing boat out at sea?, I haven't but I'm sure it's scarey as all hell. These vessels have many mechanical parts to them and sometimes without warning they can fail, who knows what caused the fire, people don't go out 180 nautical miles off shore and intensionally put their lives in danger. These men acted bravely and appropriately for the situation they were in and are alive today because of it.
    Good job to all that brought these men home to their families, you deserve a big pat on the back.

• ABishop
      April 10, 2012 - 22:36

I'm a fishery observer and made a trip on this boat in 2008. It was a great boat and it's too bad it met the fate that it did. Just glad everyone was okay, this is a good story, even though it's a bad one at the same time, it could have been much worse.

• kevin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

all these boat's that are burning what's the problem with the fire dectors ?? batteries in them 'dead' ?? also what's the problem with the fire extinguisher's ?? are they 'empty' ?? a good working fire dector and some one smart enought to use the extinguisher should be able to put a small fire out before it become's an out of control fire.. smell's fishey to me.....????

• Melissa
      February 04, 2012 - 21:50

My father was the owner of this boat. Thank God he was not on the boat that day it went down. I don't know if he would have left it on time! It has been several years since this accident and we are all thrilled that nobody was hurt. Thank you to all those who have left such understanding comments. It is sad that we live in a society where people are extremely suspicious and LOVE to make up stories about situations that they know NOTHING about. Not everyone are scam artists. Believe it or not, but there are honest people out there Kevin...I know of lots.

• david
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

it amazes me how people like kevin think.obivously he has no idea that a fishing boat is out in many conditions,that as long as you float your ok..that you only have min's to react, its not like running upstairs to call for help or run out in your backyard.kevin should check your batteries,,bec your braindead

• Norm
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

HMMM, let's see, when a smoke detector goes off in your house, what is the first thing you should do? GET TO SAFETY!!! On a boat in the ocean where you need to launch a raft and put on survival gear, you don't have the luxury of time or to be trying to put out a fire that, if it gets worse, could lead to an explosion or could severely limit the time the crew has to get off the boat. Did you think about your comment before you wrote or have you never been on a boat before???

• Ashley
    July 02, 2010 - 13:23

I know many of the people on both boats, and in this case I can tell you the fire was an accident. They are all honest, hard-working men.

I don't know about other cases like this, but this one definitely was an accident.

• Mary
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Peoples jobs are gone now, not to mention a boat, Thank God all hands are alive and well!!

• Tommy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

Glad to hear they are all safe, could have been a much worse tragedy.
    Kevin, your comments are pretty insensitive. You're jumping to conclusions about a situation you know very little about. Nobody knows what happened except the crew, they will tell their stories soon enough. If you or your family was on that boat you would be singing a different tune I am sure. Please have some respect for the victims, they no doubt are traumatized and in shock from what happened . They risk their lives regularly so people like you and I can have a taste of shrimp, lobster, cod etc. The least we can do is let them tell their stories before jumping to any conclusions.
    Peace,
    God Guard Thee, Newfoundland!

• Donna
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

As a friend of one of the crew members on the Newfoundland Pearl, I'm disgusted and saddened to read the comments of Kevin. Wow, what a way to get some attention! Set fire to a boat in the middle of the Atlantic ocean, risking your own life and the lives of others. Kevin, you sound very fishy to me. To someone as obviosly ignorant and predjudiced as you so obviosly are,deliberally sinking a boat may be a real good idea. Have some respect for these people and the bravery they and their rescuers showed yesterday. Oh,and by the way Kev,get yourself a dictionary!

• Clint

• Ashley
    July 01, 2010 - 20:08

• Mary
    July 01, 2010 - 20:02

• Tommy
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

Glad to hear they are all safe, could have been a much worse tragedy.
    Peace,
    God Guard Thee, Newfoundland!

• Donna