St. John's Fire Department responds to fire in Mount Pearl

Staff ~ The Telegram
Send to a friend

Send this article to a friend.

Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

A firefighter with the St. John's Regional Fire Department removes a water hose from a home on Burrage Avenue in Mount Pearl this morning. Firefighters were called to the scene when a neighbour noticed smoke coming from the home. There were no people at home but a family cat was found unresponsive and subsequently revived by the firefighters. A second cat escaped through an open window. The house suffered moderate damage with the fire being confined to a basement area near a wood stove.

Organizations: Fire Department

Geographic location: St. John's, Mount Pearl, Burrage Avenue

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5

Thanks for voting!

Top of page

Comments

Comments

Recent comments

  • What a sin
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

    I would hate to come home to that mess...but thankfully that no one was hurt in the fire:-)..

  • joe
    July 02, 2010 - 13:30

    HEY WILLIE DO YOU KNOW THE BEST THING THAT EVER CAME OUT OF POUCH COVE.....YES THATS RIGHT..... AN EMPTY BUS....THIS POOR MAN CAME INTO SOME BAD LUCK AND YET YOU STILL FIND A WAY TO BE AN *** ****.GROW UP MAN.........

  • Gerry
    July 02, 2010 - 13:26

    joe from nl writes:HEY WILLIE DO YOU KNOW THE BEST THING THAT EVER CAME OUT OF POUCH COVE.....YES THATS RIGHT..... AN EMPTY BUS

    While I may or may not agree with what Willie said 'Joe', your comment comes across as childish - maybe take your own advice: grow up 'man'

  • Willie
    July 02, 2010 - 13:25

    If times are tough and you have to burn wood to keep body and soul together, like the old days, you're better off having your chimney cleaned more often.

    Willie Hunt
    Pouch Cove NL

  • shannon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

    Willie, they didn't say it was a chimney fire. They would know right away if it was and would've say so. Heck, neighbours would've seen a huge torch coming out of the chimney from the outside if this was the case ! In fact, they said the fire was confined to a basement area near a wood stove, so this may be misleading people to believe it had something to do with the stove, which it may not. But it certainly doesn't sound like a chimney fire at all. Probably the family pet did something around the hot stove, maybe playing with some rifle cartridges or something hey Willie ? Or it could be electrical. I'm surprised you didn't say it was our heritage to burn our houses down with wood stoves ? You're getting soft.

  • sharon
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

    The facts in this article are incorrect and the person who posted the comment really should get his facts straight before making such comments... He is making assumptions about something he knows nothing about....

  • henri
    July 02, 2010 - 13:15

    Wow Sharon sounds very angry!!

  • What a sin
    July 01, 2010 - 20:19

    I would hate to come home to that mess...but thankfully that no one was hurt in the fire:-)..

  • joe
    July 01, 2010 - 20:17

    HEY WILLIE DO YOU KNOW THE BEST THING THAT EVER CAME OUT OF POUCH COVE.....YES THATS RIGHT..... AN EMPTY BUS....THIS POOR MAN CAME INTO SOME BAD LUCK AND YET YOU STILL FIND A WAY TO BE AN *** ****.GROW UP MAN.........

  • Gerry
    July 01, 2010 - 20:12

    joe from nl writes:HEY WILLIE DO YOU KNOW THE BEST THING THAT EVER CAME OUT OF POUCH COVE.....YES THATS RIGHT..... AN EMPTY BUS

    While I may or may not agree with what Willie said 'Joe', your comment comes across as childish - maybe take your own advice: grow up 'man'

  • Willie
    July 01, 2010 - 20:11

    If times are tough and you have to burn wood to keep body and soul together, like the old days, you're better off having your chimney cleaned more often.

    Willie Hunt
    Pouch Cove NL

  • shannon
    July 01, 2010 - 20:00

    Willie, they didn't say it was a chimney fire. They would know right away if it was and would've say so. Heck, neighbours would've seen a huge torch coming out of the chimney from the outside if this was the case ! In fact, they said the fire was confined to a basement area near a wood stove, so this may be misleading people to believe it had something to do with the stove, which it may not. But it certainly doesn't sound like a chimney fire at all. Probably the family pet did something around the hot stove, maybe playing with some rifle cartridges or something hey Willie ? Or it could be electrical. I'm surprised you didn't say it was our heritage to burn our houses down with wood stoves ? You're getting soft.

  • sharon
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

    The facts in this article are incorrect and the person who posted the comment really should get his facts straight before making such comments... He is making assumptions about something he knows nothing about....

  • henri
    July 01, 2010 - 19:54

    Wow Sharon sounds very angry!!