Veteran cox looks to claim first men’s championship

Kenn Oliver

Nasty tumble, heart attack couldn't keep Brennan out of the boat

Veteran coxswain Ronnie Brennan waited more than 40 long years to win his first championship race at the Royal St. John’s Regatta.

“I never really cared about winning. That’s the truth,” said the 64-year-old self-described “corner boy.”

“That’s why I took seven or eight crews (a year), all the young kids who couldn’t get a cox and anyone who wanted to learn how to row.”

But a title was bound to come, and in 2006, it did with the OZ-FM ladies crew.  Brennan had coxed in more than a dozen finals up to then, with more than a few runner-up finishes.

“I’ve been in the championship race more than anybody down there,” says Ronnie Brennan

“I’ve been in the championship race more than anybody down there,” says Brennan, who added to his list of women’s titles by winning with O’Dea Earle Law Offices in 2007 and last year with the John Atkins Co. Marketing crew.

“I’ve won in Placentia, and Harbour Grace, with the girls and the men.”

But he’s never won a men’s championship on Quidi Vidi.

See "IN 1996", page 2

Organizations: OZ-FM, John Atkins Co.

Geographic location: Placentia

Comments

Comments

• Bill Holwell
    August 04, 2010 - 05:57

Ron; you will be on the podium tonight. I was with you in 96 when we lost and I know it hurt, but I will be cheering you tonight when you toast the cup. Congrats!!!!!!!!

• Albert Gibbons
    August 03, 2010 - 16:09

Good luck Ron. If not for people like you the Regatta may have died off years ago. Your love for the sport has been genuine & unselfish.

• Brian Moffatt
    August 03, 2010 - 12:11

Good Luck Ron to both you and your crew. Wish I could be there to cheer you on.

• derek holwell
    August 03, 2010 - 10:03

best of luck on regetta day to you and your crew.Ron; your time has come.

• Corina Byrne
    August 03, 2010 - 08:20

Best of luck to you and your crew, Ron!

• Mike Power
      August 03, 2010 - 14:43

Ronnie good luck to you and the crew tomorrow, Tormoorw night you very well could be in the history of the Regetta books as the 2010 mens champions .Ronnie for the last forty years you have taken crews taht never had a small balls chnce ioh hell of winning .But Ronnie you gave them all hope nand made them feel like champions , thanks for all of them.Win loose tomorrow for your deication and timeless sacrafice to the regetta you are in my book a champion .Again Thanks for keeping the regetta alive good luck , we will see you at the regetta .