Forsey trying out with German team: ‘It’s something I’ve got to t­ry:”

Kenn Oliver

Challenge Cup’s leading scorer won’t participate in league playoffs; he heads overseas today

Tyler Forsey

With 31 goals in 27 games, Tyler Forsey has enjoyed one of the most successful individual seasons in the history of Molson Challenge Cup provincial men’s league

And there seemed no better way to cap off that season than to help lead Holy Cross Kirby Group to a fifth straight league title in the league’s championship tournament this weekend in St. Lawrence.

But that won’t happen. On Wednesday, Forsey was invited to tryout for the under-23 reserve squad of the Dresden Dynamo, which competes in the Bundesliga 2, Germany’s second division pro league.

“I was really excited and looking forward to the final weekend, but when I got the call for this, it’s something I’ve been looking forward to all my life,” says Forsey who flies to Frankfurt this morning.

“It’s something I’ve got to try.”

“Some people want to be artists, some people want to be a scientist or a teacher, but this is the thing I believe that was for me.”

Dynamo played four seasons in the first division (1991–95), but has ssince drifted between the second and fourth tiers. The club was promoted to the second division in 2011.

Forsey, 20, didn’t just appear on the Dyanmo’s radar this summer. As an 18-year-old, the speedy striker was invited to join the team’s under-19 academy team. After a good showing — “I scored several goals and I felt like I was one of the main players on the pitch,” he says of his first stint — Forsey was asked to stick around.

But with no German citizenship and still a minor, he wasn’t able to stay.

“We talked a couple of times about me coming back some time. I wasn’t sure it would even happen.”

Forsey isn’t sure how long he’ll be in Germany or what the Dynamo have planned for him.

“Initially, I’ll be training and depending on what they see, they’ll either give me a no, a yes or push me up to the first team. I could be there a few days or I could end up signing with them.

“I’m going not really knowing what’s going to come out of it, but I’m hoping for the best.”

The invite comes a day after the Challenge Cup league released a list finalist for individual player awards, a list Forsey, surprisingly, was not on. Each team was asked to submit a nominee from their own club for the Dick Power Memorial Award, presented to the league’s Most Valuable Player. The Crusaders chose to nominate midfielder Pat Reddick.

Forsey admits he was a little surprised, especially considering teammate Steve Delong, the league’s leading scorer in 2012, ended up taking MVP honours.

“I figured I would follow suit,” he says.

That said, Forsey isn’t too upset about not being nominated. He’s got a scoring title and that’s enough for him.

“No matter who wins the MVP, someone’s always going to say, ‘I think so and so should have won’. A scoring title is not an opinion, that’s a fact, something nobody can take away from you.

“When I’m 50 and finished playing, when I look back, how many MVP awards I’ve won is probably not going to bother me too much.”

koliver@thetelegram.com

Twitter@telykenn

Organizations: Molson, Holy Cross Kirby Group

Geographic location: Germany, Frankfurt

Comments

Comments

• Roger Dickins
    August 29, 2013 - 15:12

What a blow hard.

August 29, 2013 - 12:37

Have a look at this comment by Tyler, "But with no German citizenship and still a minor, he wasn’t able to stay" Owen Hargreaves from Calgary wasn't a German citizen and he went to Germany as a minor player and played, has this rule changed? Fact is: Germany aren't scouting small league Newfoundland for players but they will have a look at you if you want to go over at your own expense. This is what Walt has done for Tyler because Walt thinks that Tyler is the best player in Canada.

• John O'Flynn
      August 30, 2013 - 13:59

Owen Hargreaves' dad has British citizenship (which is how he got on the England team). Therefore, he would qualify to get British citizenship..and wouldn't need a work permit for Germany because anyone in the UK can work anywhere in Europe without a work permit, and vice-versa.

• Anon
      December 02, 2013 - 12:47

This is a very ignorant comment. In order to play in Europe you need the necessary paperwork, specifically an EU passport. In order to bypass this process a club can apply for a work permit from their local government if the the player they are interested in displays exceptional ability. We saw Owen Hargreaves go from Calgary to Germany as his father was British and Asmir Begovic to Portsmouth from Edmonton, both because of their passports. The scope of global scouting knows no bounds, players with much less of a resume than Tyler have gone on to big clubs. Eyes are always watching... 31 goals would certainly merit a second look.

• Scott
    August 29, 2013 - 11:52

I've got to know Tyler through the PCSP minor soccer association, and I think some of the commentators on here are giving the guy a hard time without even knowing him. He has a true passion for the game and is more than willing to help out teaching the young ones the fundamentals of the game. Not an easy task when many of them are concerned with picking flowers... We all know how even the most innocent of interviews can make someone look bad. Did anyone consider that he may be just a little excited to be given this chance and is more focused on a trip across the pond than whats on the go here? Good luck Tyler

• Steve
    August 29, 2013 - 11:48

Oh please. I will quote the late, great England football manager Bobby Robson during World Cup 1990 when he was on the cusp of using then up and coming player Paul Gascoigne..... ''When it comes to training, I need 2 soccer balls. One for the team to use, the other for Gazza''. This kid is arrogant, typical of most soccer strikers. But the fact he was on St. Lawrence, then not, then becomes top scorer and gets passed over for MVP. This kid may score a lot of goals, but a team player he is not. How many times does he used the word 'I' in this article? How many times does he thank his coaches, teammates, parents. Why did he not request to fly to Germany after the challenge cup season was over, which if I am correct is over on Sept 1st or 2nd. If he does not make it, will Holy Cross welcome him back????

• Disappointed in comments
    August 29, 2013 - 11:17

Once again, Newfoundlanders bashing Newfoundlanders for either being successful or on the cusp of doing something great. There is nothing wrong with talking about one's success especially when that is exactly what the article is about. As a Newfoundlander I recognize his accomplishment especially given that in the realm of international soccer (most things of a global scale) Newfoundland is irrelevant and virtually unknown. Another reality is that the compete level of Newfoundland soccer is not much more than beer league which to me makes his accomplishment that much more impressive. Proud Newfoundlander with his foot set firmly in reality.

• Real truth
      August 29, 2013 - 11:48

If you're so quick to point out the level of Newfoundland soccer, why don't you expand your knowledge on the team that this kid supposedly has a try out with. Division 2 - U23 league in east germany, and he is getting a try out for the reserve team. 2 Divisions away from the Bundesliga, an u-23 reserve team. Come on man, this sounds much like the bush league he played in last year in New Brunswick, most CIS teams in Canada would compete in this league. Oh, and by the way, this league has be underway for 3 weeks now, who calls some kid in Newfoundland and offers a try out after the season has started. Sounds like sour grapes for no individual award to me. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!! ;)

• Team
    August 29, 2013 - 11:10

A team player would congratulate Reddick, saying he deserved it.

• Joe
    August 29, 2013 - 10:48

All because you did not win MVP or named as a finalist. It is a team sport and you have not once mentioned your team members, there is no I in team but 2 in %$^G

• brian
    August 29, 2013 - 10:15

Tom, he's probably disappointed because he is very competitive and strives to be the best- which is one attribute that got him to a pro tryout in Europe. Also, he probably deserves it more than any other player as he appears to be the most valuable player to his team- without him they would be without 30+ goals. He may sound a little self-absorbed but that's unfortunately a small part of being a top competitor.

• Terry
    August 29, 2013 - 08:07

Wow... can you be a little bit more into yourself?? Get over yourself kid.. It seems there was a reason you were not nominated... maybe cause your head will explode!!!

• Gordon
    August 29, 2013 - 07:57

It is an honour to see a Newfoundlander play for a professional sports team. I used to play soccer. I could only wish I had the talent to play in Europe. If this kid is offered a spot with Dresden Dynamo, I will buy a Dresden Dynamo shirt for my son.....and come to think of it, one for myself as well. There is NOTHING selfish about trying to become a professional athlete.

• Tom
    August 29, 2013 - 05:20

This is the second article I've read on this kid and he hasn't mentioned his teammates once. Isn't this his third challenge cup team he's played on in Newfoundland? Maybe someone should sit this kid down and remind him how important playing as a team is, and then they can remind him that he only scored 10 goals combined in the previous 2 years. I've got nothing to do with soccer, but I'm an avid newfoundland sports fan, and it's dissapointing to see a Newfoundland athlete portray himself as being so selfish. Who in their right mind comes out and tells a newspaper that they're dissapointing they didn't get the league MVP?