Comments

Comments

• terri
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

ummmmmm, have we ever had another best player in any sport on the planet??? so colin abbott was the best fastpitch softball hitter on the planet and he ranked number nine???? thats it??? i guess number one will be brad gusue will it? because they won a gold medal in the olympics? i'm sorry, i don't agree. they did that ONCE, and then never really did much after. colin abbott was the best player in the world for years. his listing of awards i bet is definatly longer than anyone else's on this list. shame on you guys for not recognizing newfoundland's REAL athletes for what they're really worth.

• Paul
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

I have watched Abbot several years and I think that what he has done for his sport world wide makes him top three on your list. Like the rest I can't wait to see the other names.

• brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

what exactly did michael rider do?// he scored 75 goals in a 30 team over 3 years league...wow...some criteria...oh yea he scored 20 in peewee in bonavista...wow maybe he ll make it in the hockey hall of fame in TO.. give me a break....how about an athlete who was great at broomball,hockey,fastball. have anyone in mind yet....ill have to wait i guess and see if you guys are true or not...

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

It has been a long time since I have spoken to the guy we affectionately knew at Prince of Wales as The Big Bayman , but I followed his sports career for years. Back then, he was not only one of the best athletes around but also the nicest guy you ever wanted to meet. I agree with Keith - Colin is the epitome of class and is a great representative of this province.

• Francis
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

I think Abbott should be rated higher than 9. Best in the world at his sport is a pretty tall order. I guess I will have to wait and see who the rest are. Nice column though. Where is Andy Sullivan going to rank I wonder?

• Keith
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Congrats Abby on this great achievement...It's been awhile since our days playing with Labatts at Lions Park and up in Lloydminster. You obviously had skills on the field but what I remember most is the humble, classy way you carried yourself off the field. Great ball player, greater person.

• Don
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Congrats Abby. If he were playing baseball in the majors, he'd be making about 15 million a year. I have to wonder why is didn't finish higher by this panel. He has been at this level for about 12 years not just a couple. Colin should have finished ahead of Gushue and the rowers and tely 10 winners to come.

• terri