No. 2 Brad Gushue

John
John Browne

St. John's curler has been to the mountain top

Brad Gushue may be the province's most recognizable athlete in history. And for good reason.

Gushue spearheaded a curling team that made provincial history at the highest possible level by skipping Canada's rink to a gold medal at the 2006 Olympics in Italy.

It's been one heck of a roller coaster ride since then, and although Gushue is quick to point out he couldn't have had the success without his three teammates, the skip's unmatched success over his still-flourishing career has earned him the No. 2 spot of The Telegram's list of Newfoundland and Labrador's Top 10 athletes.

St. John's skip Brad Gushue waves to the crowd after his team won the men's curling gold medal at the Winter Olympics in Pinerolo, Italy. - Photo by The Canadian Press

As skip, Gushue calls his team's game and tosses the rocks that are usually the difference-makers in a sport predicated on making the big shot in the pressure situations. His attitude and cool demeanour under pressure in a local, national or world event has raised the bar for provincial athletes.

Gushue doesn't believe Newfoundland athletes are inferior to the ir mainland counterparts. To him, it's a matter of hard work and preparation.

The 2001 Canadian and world junior champion, Gushue holds Canadian junior men's records for most wins and most appearances as a skip. Still, he paid his dues along the way to Briers and Olympic glory.

A three-time provincial junior men's golf champion and the 1999 Newfoundland amateur champ at 19, Gushue gave up a promising career on the links to devote full-time to the roaring game. It's something he has never regretted.

The St. John's skip has been through controversy and has been the target of much criticism following changes to his rink after the Olympics. However, through it all, his focus has never wavered.

In 2002, Gushue was beginning to play against some of the best curlers in the world, including the likes of Kerry Burtnyk, Wayne Middaugh and Guy Hemmings. He was going up against the big boys and giving some of them a pretty good game.

"It's only a matter of time. I don't think it's too far away either," he said with confidence at the time.

At the Nokia Brier in Saskatoon in 2004 where he finished 8-4, Gushue told The Canadian Press when it was over: "I hate losing. You know I'm bordering on a sore loser. I handle it pretty well around other people, but when I get by myself I'm pretty hard on myself. I'd rather be on the winning side of it."

Defeat has never rested easy on his shoulders.

Gushue fought back tears when he fell short in his bid to reach the semifinals in 2004. He was the first-team all-star skip that year, but put the blame for the failure to advance squarely on himself.

"It sucks that I miscalled that last one and that's what really hurts the most. I let the guys down on that one and it's pretty disappointing," he said at the time.

Adversity proved a spur. Gushue would learn and he would get better ... and so would his team.

Although a world-class skip whose skill in unmatched in provincial curling circles, Gushue continues to have his ups and downs on the ice. It comes with the territory.

Tough loss

The Olympic gold medal victory was followed the following year by a tough 10-6 loss to Glenn Howard in the 2007 Brier after Gushue had taken a 5-3 lead.

Gushue had an opportunity with his last rock in the seventh to take a single point but opted instead for a double takeout that could potentially have scored three points. He failed to get past Ontario's guard to allow Howard to steal two. It was the first Ontario lead since the first end.

There were no apologizes for his decision making.

"I don't mind taking risks," Gushue told CBC Sports after the game. "I'd rather lose trying to win than lose trying to keep it close.

"We tried to win. We made an effort to win. It was in our hands to win and unfortunately the rock didn't react the way it should have."

No one doubts he'll be back.

At 28, Gushue is in the prime of his curling career and no one knows what the future holds for the country's best curler.

It's fair to say, he's an athlete who isn't limited by perceived insurmountable boundaries.

jbrowne@thetelegram.com

GUSHUE FACTBOX

Brad Gushue's curling record at Brier:
2003: 6-5
2004: 8-4
2005: 6-5
2006: (Did not compete)
2007: 8-3 (lost in final)
2008: 7-4 (lost tie-breaker)
Junior level
Canadian and world junior champion; six time provincial junior champion, five times as skip
Three-time national junior all-star
Gushue notable notes
"I've basically chalked it up to ignorance. They don't know me. They don't know what I'm like. They don't know what happened within our team. It's just pure aesthetics (that) they're judging me on. It's just people being ignorant and I'm not going to worry about those people." - On public criticism following the controversial decision to drop lead Jamie Korab.
"Everybody kind of made a little sacrifice. There were no egos and I think that's why it did work. After winning Olympic gold.
"This is pretty cool. I never thought I would have a street named after me." On honor of St. John's streets named after each member of the Olympic gold medal rink Jamie Korab, Mark Nichols and Mike Adam.

Selection criteria

The object: To select the 10 best athletes Newfoundland and Labrador has produced. Seven prominent individuals with an impressive sports background, together with Robin Short, Brendan McCarthy and John Browne of The Telegram's sports department, were chosen to make the selections.
The criteria: Athletes must have been born in Newfoundland and Labrador and spent a large part of their development years within the province. The field was open to amateur and professional, and male and female athletes.
The selection panel
John McGrath: A former Newfoundland soccer president, McGrath is chairman of the board of governors for the Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall of Fame.
Brian Brocklehurst: A two-sport star in St. John's during the late 1960s and '70s, Brocklehurst was the 1969 St. John's athlete of the year.
Don Johnson: A former president of both the Canadian and Newfoundland amateur hockey associations, Johnson was also head of the St. John's Senior Men's Softball League and Royal St. John's Regatta Committee. He has served on the Canadian Sports Hall of Fame and Canada Games Council.
Roger Grimes: Otherwise known as a former premier of Newfoundland and Labrador, those in sports know him as an erstwhile Grand Falls Cataracts senior hockey player and Grand Falls Beothuks senior baseball player.
Terry Hart: Another Grand Falls-Windsor native, Hart has broadcasted local sports for over 30 years. He continues in radio today at VOCM.
Glenn Stanford: He's known most recently as the man who ran the St. John's Maple Leafs for 14 seasons. But before that, Stanford was a two-sport star - basketball and soccer - with Holy Cross and Memorial.
Alan (Tex) Seaborn: Seaborn has had a long-standing involvement with the Corner Brook and Newfoundland baseball associations. He served as vice-chairman and vice-president of sport for the 1999 Canada Winter Games in Corner Brook.

Top 10 best athletes

1. TBA -Aug. 23, 2008
2. Brad Gushue
3. Alex Faulkner
4. Rod Snow
5. Carl English
6. Daniel Cleary
7. Frank Humber
8. Paul McCloy
9. Colin Abbott
10. Michael Ryder

Organizations: The Telegram, Nokia Brier, Canadian Press CBC Sports Newfoundland and Labrador Sports Hall Softball League and Royal Regatta Committee Canadian Sports Hall Fame and Canada Games Council Maple Leafs

Geographic location: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada Italy Briers Ontario Saskatoon Corner Brook Grand Falls-Windsor

Comments

Comments

• scott keeping
    March 15, 2014 - 21:26

where Steve Wiseman 3rd in the world weight lifting championships. Member of the Olympic bobsled team. # time participant in the Canada games 3 different sports and participated in strong man championships. And hell of a hockey player and badminton player when he was younger

• lta
    August 04, 2011 - 15:23

i don't see burt squires on your top 10 list.5th at the 1984 olympic's in weightlifting.what a joke.

• G-Money
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Two words baby....Mag Davis! She'll be number 1. You can bank on it. If I'm wrong I'll take out a full page add of myself wearing nothing more than a pair of hot pink budgie smugglers (speedos) in next Saturday's Telegram.

Probably not my number 1 choice but you certainly can't argue with placing her in the Top 3. Actually, who am I trying to kid....she'd make a fine number 1. Unlike a few on the list, she is an amazing all-round ATHLETE.

Nice to see the all-rounders finally receive some love.

As Michael Wilbon would say....Give the girl some DAP!!

• rod
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

Im with Ben ithink john slaney should be the best athlete

• Richard
    July 02, 2010 - 13:35

There aren't any women on the selection panel, either...

• Sporter
    July 02, 2010 - 13:34

Does this mean Gushue is a better athlete than those listed below him? haaahaaaaahaaaaaa. This is hillarious. haaaahaaa... Anyway it started off my morning with a good laugh as I am sure it did a good many more!

• Capture the Flag
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

Lets define what the term Athlete is and then we can start to pick the top 10 Athletes. Not once was this mentioned during the past 9 weeks . How did the panel define Athlete ?

• Jim
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

And to think our beloved premier named a road after him.. this is completely embarrassing.

I love the commercials about Brad going for the gold! How about this... Brad, Go Away.

• craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:33

curlers should not be on an best athlete list ... sportsman maybe, but hardly athletic endeavor ... and Gushue isn't even the best curler on that team. I recall it was Nichols shotmaking that propelled that team to its Olympic triumph ... nuff said!

• Capture the Flag
    July 02, 2010 - 13:32

Well the list consists of all males who are professional Perhaps Paul McCloy would be the only one that is not. All others did earn money when they played their sport, therefore they are professional. Shayne, If you think Maggie Davis will be the # 1 it does not follow suit on how all the others were picked. They (the top 9) made their mark in one sport. Yes there are plenty of multi sport athletes who represented the province in more than one sport at the national level, but not one of them have been chosen so far so why would the panel chose one now as the # 1 choice. They have not cracked the top ten yet so I can not comprehend how the panel would pick one now. If one is picked it will be a slap in the face to all the other multi sport athletes in the province who have represented the province in more than one sport at the national level because there are many, both male and female.

• john
    July 02, 2010 - 13:31

Come on guys are we talking athletics here, or great teams. Picking brad just cost me a cool 50 bucks. I WOULD NEVER PICK brad as a top athletic. There is way to many athletics on the island that brad wont carry their shoes. He done alot for the sport of curling in nfld, threw a few rocks in many houses. But number two on the island, so i guess its going to be a five way tie for first.

• Jeremy
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

This is a joke and a disgrace.

I bet we see that guy Charlie who racks them up every night @ Westside make #1 because of his amazing skills in pool.

Sorry to the selection committee, but bad choice. Makes you wonder who's paying who here?

• Ben
    July 02, 2010 - 13:27

I agree with most of the top ten so far but not this pick, I don't think Brad Gushue deserves to be on this list. For accomplishments in sports he and his teammates should be well up there but not for best athlete. The # 1 pick in my mind should be John Slaney...

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

If Gushue is the number two athlete then they should have found space for a woman on their list as it is obvious they are tailoring their choices for public consumption.

• Dave
    July 02, 2010 - 13:22

Where is Andy Sullivan? He has to be #1.

• craig
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

• honestly
    July 02, 2010 - 13:21

Its another week and another great pick. I guess the letters will be coming in that there is no female on the list.
    This brings to my attention the olympics. As a sport fan I don't care if the athlete is a man or a woman, I want to see the best. I want to see the fastest swimmer in the world, fastest runner, the best soccer players. Not the 1000th fastest person. I'm not sexest I want to see THE BEST...If the best is a woman so be it but until that happens i don't think that a woman will crack a top ten list anywhere.

• Brian
    July 02, 2010 - 13:20

Dear Robin
    Good Morning Robin.I have been paying really close attention to your top ten athletes and so far I think you have been bang on.
    But one persons name that i have not seen is Mr.Norbert {Dickie} Power.I would hope that Dickie is the #1 choice.
    To myself personally Dickie was an allstar athlete in every sport he played,he was a leader to all also.I do not believe u will find one person who did not respect Dickie.He was a mentor to us younger guys and showed us the meaning of dedication.Most of all Dickie was of all Dickie was someone we all looked uo to for the way he done things on and off the field and floors.To me he should be Newfoundland and Labradors best athlete.I hope your panel thinks so also.Thank you for this time.
    Yours Sincerely
    Brian Stanford
    Fort Mac Murray

• Mark
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

I have now decided to stop reading the Sports section; until they've found some reasonable writers.

Tsk, tsk...so disappointing. And yes, if Brad is here, then it looks like Mark should be #1.

• John
    July 02, 2010 - 13:19

Without a doubt the number one athelete has got to be Mark Nichols, the mate on the Gushue team for many years. He did not appear on the first nine and Brad named number two all time. If Mark is not on the list than its time to use this list for extra toilet paper!!!

• Doug
    July 02, 2010 - 13:18

My only problem with this selection is that once again Brad gets all the credit, while curling is clearly a team game. The Gushue rink won the Olympic Trials in no small part due to the addition of Russ Howard to the team and won the Olympics due to some great shot making by Mark Nichols among others. So if you want to include Brad than make sure to include Russ Howard, Mike Adam, Jamie Korab and Mark Nichols. This entry should be the BRAD GUSHUE RINK not Brad Gushue.

• Emily
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

As the weeks have passed the lack of female representation on the Newfoundland and Labrador Top 10 Athletes list has became increasingly disconcerting. I feel it is my personal obligation as a woman and fellow proud Newfoundlander to bring one deserving athlete to the forefront. Joy Burt, a native of Corner Brook Newfoundland, has enjoyed a varied and successful athletic career and has received numerous awards and recognition in the sports of soccer, broomball and most notably power-lifting. On the world stage Joy earned two World Power-lifting titles and was the first female inducted into the Newfoundland and Labrador Soccer Hall of Fame. In addition to Joy's successes, the historical record of the Newfoundland and Labrador Female Athlete of the Year award, showcases the many female athletic talents that have hailed from the great province of Newfoundland and Labrador.

• George
    July 02, 2010 - 13:17

Why don't we just make pool or bowling an olympic sport?? Brad Gushue is hardly what I'd consider an athlete , he may be a skilled curler at best.

• David
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

Darren Colbourne is number 1. You heard it here first!

• Teamwork
    July 02, 2010 - 13:16

I guess there is an i in team after all!

• Adam
    July 02, 2010 - 13:14

The article forgot to mention the other world junior championship Brad won with the John Morris rink when John Morris came looking for Brad to improve his team.

I do wonder though why everyone keeps bringing up the team issue. So far the only athlete in the top 10 that competed in an idividual sport was Paul McCloy, yet everyone is quick to point it out here in Gushue's case. People have a skewed view of this team since there were more than one NL'er on the team. I am not a curler and I know it is a team game, but from what I understand as an outsider looking in, the skip calls the shots, therefore the skip will get the glory along with the criticism.

I realize there are many people who may not like Brad Gushue or feel that curling is not much of a sport, but when you have an NL athlete that has won 2 world championships and an Olympic gold, that athlete has to rank high in the history of NL's best of all time. If someone can find me another NL athlete with a better resume I'd love to see it, but I'm quite certain you won't find one.

• Capture the Flag
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Dave Andy only played Hockey here in Nfld. and that does not seem to count if you look and see who has been in the Top 10 so far. Individuals who played their sport outside the province and had a accomplishment in that sport (ie) the first person to make it to the NHL, the first to win a Stanley Cup, the first to winn an Olympic Gold Medal, the first to have thier name in the NBA draft.the firast to nearly win NHL rookie of the year. need I say more.

• JOHN
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

I CANT BELIEVE THIS, BRAD SECOND BEST ATHLETE IN NFLD. ITS COST ME 50BUCKS ON A BET, I NEVER PICKED HIM IN THE TOP TEN. IF YOU LOK AT IT THAT WAY THEN BILL DYWER IS A SHOE IN FOR FIRST. BRAD MIGHT HAVE THROWN SOME ROCKS THROUGH THE HOUSE, BUT BILLS DOG AND SLEIGHT TEAM WON MORE. BILL DYWER HAS NEVER LOST A RACE IN 18 YEARS. LETS THINK ABOUT THIS, HE COULD NOT HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT HIS DOGS. CAN THIS SAME EXAMPLE APPLY TO BRAD AND HIS TEAM. ITS A TEAM SPORT, BRAD THROWS ROCKS, TEAM SWEEP ROCKS.

• Richard
    July 02, 2010 - 13:13

Darts. The number one athlete must be a darts champion.

• Shayne
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

Wow my buddies figured this would be the number 2 pick but what a slap in the face to Mark Nichols who definitely propelled this pick into the gold medal glory he has had. I wonder where the ladies are? I keep hearing about Maggie Davis and her accomplishments but something tells me that we're not going to see her at number 1 either. Back to Brad Gushue, a great acomplishment but this was a team of Newfoundlanders and Labradorians (plus Howard) who should be at #2.

• Jonny
    July 02, 2010 - 13:12

yup, you guessed it, i lost my lunch!! What a joke!!

• Nipper
    July 02, 2010 - 13:10

Well enjoy your picks because theres nuddin to celebrate about the current crop of would be Olympic athletes is there. 300 head to Beijing and not a Newfindlinder in competition except for a ping pong and swimming official. That's legacy for ya

• Francis
    July 02, 2010 - 13:09

This list no longer holds any water in my mind. Great job guys, someone wins one medal and has one good year is number two. Abbott and the rest of them must feel real proud today to have worked a lifetime and be beat by someone who has one accomplishement. It is quite an accomplishment but its still only one.

So if the olympics had tidleywinks and I won gold would I make next years list?

Nothing against Brad but he hasn't done enough to be number 2, later in the list sure, but not 2. I have a feeling plenty of comments will be coming today.

He might be number 1 on NFLD accomplishments in sports but not athletes.

• G-Money
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Nice to see the all-rounders finally receive some love.

As Michael Wilbon would say....Give the girl some DAP!!

• rod
    July 01, 2010 - 20:25

Im with Ben ithink john slaney should be the best athlete

• Richard
    July 01, 2010 - 20:24

There aren't any women on the selection panel, either...

• Sporter
    July 01, 2010 - 20:23

• Capture the Flag
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Jim
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• craig
    July 01, 2010 - 20:22

• Capture the Flag
    July 01, 2010 - 20:21

• john
    July 01, 2010 - 20:20

• Jeremy
    July 01, 2010 - 20:15

This is a joke and a disgrace.

• Ben
    July 01, 2010 - 20:14

• John
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

• Dave
    July 01, 2010 - 20:07

Where is Andy Sullivan? He has to be #1.

• craig

• Emily
    July 01, 2010 - 19:58

• George
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

• David
    July 01, 2010 - 19:57

Darren Colbourne is number 1. You heard it here first!

• Teamwork
    July 01, 2010 - 19:56

I guess there is an i in team after all!

• Adam
    July 01, 2010 - 19:53

• Capture the Flag
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• JOHN
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

• Richard
    July 01, 2010 - 19:52

Darts. The number one athlete must be a darts champion.

• Shayne
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

• Jonny
    July 01, 2010 - 19:50

yup, you guessed it, i lost my lunch!! What a joke!!

• Nipper
    July 01, 2010 - 19:47

• Francis
    July 01, 2010 - 19:44

So if the olympics had tidleywinks and I won gold would I make next years list?

He might be number 1 on NFLD accomplishments in sports but not athletes.