Shelly Blackmore, secretary of the Labrador West chapter of Special Olympics, told the Aurora they were contacted by the Labrador City fire fighters association to inform them they were donating $2,000 to the group.
"We only got started with our activities at the beginning of the year, and we don't have a lot of money," Blackmore told the Aurora. The group holds activities for the members twice a week. "We were looking at purchasing equipment for some of the activities, this will go a long way towards paying for the equipment."
She said they can't thank them enough for their generosity. Blackmore also told the Aurora that a visit to the fireball and a chance to ride with the firefighters was one of the activities the group organized recently.
"It was the thrill of a lifetime for many," she said.
But it turns out, this donation was one in a long list of donations handed out in the community. Close to $100,000 worth the be exact. So how is a group like the Firefighters association able to be so generous? It's an interesting story.
Bryan Fagan is the President of the Labrador City Firefighters Association.
"We decided to do a 50/50 draw in conjunction with the Chase the Ace event sponsored by the Knights of Columbus," he told the Aurora. "Initially it was to raise funds for the Association, but then we realized we were making way more than we expected.”
The draws were run by the firefighters, and assisted by members of Minor ball hockey, which were recipients of a generous donation.
Fagan told the Aurora, "We reached out to a wide variety of groups and organizations, we are very happy to help.”
That help was even extended to families with medical expenses.
Blackmore told the Aurora "the generosity of these firefighters will put smiles on a lot of faces, and make life easier for many of the groups and organizations that receive the donations.
To get an idea of just how generous the firefighters were, here is a full list of the donations:
* Food Bank $2,500.00
* LWYPA $1,000.00
* LW Girl Guides $1,000.00
* JRS Lunch Program $1,034.93
* Salvation Army $3,500.00
* Glad Tidings Church $1,000.00
* Janeway Telethon $1,000.00
* Wabush Fire Dept Assoc $3,500.00
* ALS Society $1,000.00
* Menihek Soup Program $1,000.00
* A.P. Low Eat Smart $1,000.00
* Youth Curling $1,000.00
* Muscular Dystrophy $2,100.00
* Community Policing $1,500.00
* Lab West Youth Football $2,000.00
* Back Packs Back to school $1,000.00
* Shiners Sick kids $1,000.00
* Relay for Life $1,000.00
* MADD $1,000.00
* Families With Medical Bills $16,500.00
* Air Daffodil $4,500.00
* Children Wish Foundation $2,000.00
* Committee de Parents Francophone $1,000.00
* After School Zone $1,000.00
* Buildings Block $1,000.00
* Carol Lake Players $1,000.00
* Northern Lights Drama $1,000.00
* Carol United Youth $1,000.00
* Association de Francophone $1,000.00
* Wabush Legion $2,000.00
* NLAFS Partners Program $1,000.00
* Community Van $5,000.00
* Defibs (Legion & Seniors Club) $1,500.00
* Lab West Pride Inc. $1,000.00
* Minor Softball $1,000.00
* Special Olympics $2,000.00
* LW Minor Ball Hockey $26,145.17