Williams’ son arrested in Florida

Danny Jr. reportedly punched security guard 10 times at sports bar

Rosie Mullaley rmullaley@thetelegram.com
Published on May 12, 2011
Daniel Mark Williams

The son of former premier Danny Williams had a recent run-in with the law south of the border, The Telegram has learned.

Daniel Mark Williams was arrested in the early hours of April 24 after a dust-up with security and police officers at a sports bar in Treasure Island, near St. Petersburg, Fla.

The 35-year-old has been charged with battery (assault), obstruction or resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

According to Lt. Armand Boudreau of the Treasure Island Police Department, security at Gators Sports Bar were alerted to trouble at the bar, where a large crowd had gathered for a bachelor party.

Williams, who was among the group, was asked to leave the bar, but refused.

Boudreau said Williams then punched a security guard 10 times.

The 5-foot-9, 180-pound St. John’s man was finally escorted out of the bar and the police were called. However, when an off-duty police officer showed up, Bou­dreau said, Williams “would not submit to arrest.”

Williams was booked by Pinellas County sheriff’s officer and released at 6:21 a.m. that same morning on a $800 bond, $500 of which was for the battery charge.

Boudreau said he could not release any further details about the case since it’s still an active file.

No court date has been set yet for Williams, but the sheriff’s office said he should be notified within the next few weeks.

When contacted through a spokeswoman, Williams Sr. opted not to comment. Williams Jr. could not be reached for comment before deadline.

The last time Williams Jr. made headlines was seven years ago, when he was attacked and beaten outside a downtown St. John’s bar in March 2004.

A 23-year-old man was charged with assault causing bodily harm after the incident, which happened late at night in front of the Rob Roy on George Street.

Williams Jr. was treated in hospital for a concussion, broken nose, severe laceration to the back of his head and a broken cheekbone, which was fractured in three places.

Following a trial at provincial court in St. John’s, the man accused of the attack was found not guilty.

The incident came at a highly charged time, with the provincial government and the premier in the midst of a massive strike by 20,000 public-sector workers.

It drew an angry response from the premier.

While he did not blame the union for the assault, he warned strikers not to target his or his MHAs’ families, and said if they did so the strike would last “until the cows come home.”