Sexual pyromaniac released from jail

Rosie Mullaley
Published on August 26, 2011
Lloyd (Sparky) George Francis appeared in provincial court in St. John’s Thursday, charged with several breaches of court orders. The 47-year-old, a sexual pyromaniac, was allegedly spotted in the area of a fire station, a violation of a special order placed on him after he finished serving a 16 1/2-year prison term. — Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

Close to three months after a sexual pyromaniac finished serving his

16 1/2-year jail sentence, he was back behind bars Wednesday after he was allegedly spotted near a fire station in St. John’s.

But Lloyd (Sparky) George Francis was released again on bail in provincial court.

The 47-year-old was reportedly seen in the area of St. John’s Central Fire Station, which is a violation of a special order imposed on him June 1,  the day he was released from federal custody.

Francis was the subject of an “810” — a Criminal Code section which outlines an anticipatory order that allows restrictions to be placed on people with violent pasts and are considered to be risks to the community.

The goal was to prevent Francis from committing further offences.

The conditions of the two-year special order included that he stay away from all fire departments, police departments, fire trucks and police vehicles unless in the company of a Stella Burry Community Services staff member.

He was also ordered to stay away from all police and fire equipment, unless in the case of emergencies.

Francis is charged with three counts of breaching court orders, along with two charges from a July 26 incident — uttering threats to a correctional officer to burn his property.

Francis has a long history of lighting fires and was nicknamed “Sparky” because of his fascination with fire.

He has threatened many people in letters, including former premiers Danny Williams and Brian Tobin, former cabinet members, a former police chief, judges, lawyers and other prominent residents of St. John’s.

In the letters, Francis threatened to burn down their homes with their families in them.

In 1994, Francis was sentenced to 10 years in prison — his third federal jail term — for setting fire to a warehouse and attached apartments at 129-131 Bond St., in downtown

St. John’s.

He has had additional years added to his prison time for making threats, breaching probation, harassment and several other offences.

Francis is due back in court next month.