UPDATE: 24-year-old man dead following two-vehicle collision

Published on November 5, 2012
This was the scene on Veterans Memorial Highway near Harbour Grace this morning as emergency responders dealt with a violent two-vehicle collision. — Transcontinental Media photo

A 24-year-old man from Spaniard's Bay has died following a two-vehicle collision on the Veteran's Memorial Highway near Harbour Grace.

The collision occurred around 7:45 a.m. this morning.

According to the RCMP, the male driver of the second vehicle suffered serious injuries.

Members of the Trinity-Conception District RCMP were on the scene as well as a collision analyst from Traffic Services East. The accident is still under investigation.

The road in the area was closed for several hours after the crash and just reopened around noon.


Earlier story

By Terry Roberts/Transcontinental Media

A violent head-on collision that occurred this morning on the Veterans Memorial Highway near Harbour Grace has left the two male drivers in what responders are describing as “very serious condition.”

The accident involved a Chevrolet Impala and what is believed to be a Hyundia Tiburon, and occurred adjacent to what’s known as Jamie's Way.

The collision occurred before 8 a.m. as motorists were on the highway, starting a new work week. Officials closed the road immediately as police, firefighters and medical personnel raced to the scene.

The Harbour Grace Volunteer Fire Brigade led the rescue effort, using its vehicle extrication tools to remove both men from the severely crumpled cars.

Firefighters from Bay Roberts and Carbonear were also on the scene.

Harbour Grace Chief Ray Verge described the extrication effort as “very difficult,” since the impact of the crash forced the front ends of both cars back onto the drivers.

It took more than an hour to remove the driver from the Impala.

“It was not just a matter of removing the top portion of the vehicle. We had to work hard to move him safely,” said Verge.

Both occupants suffered very serious lower body injuries, said Verge, who is also a paramedic.

Verge praised the efforts of highway enforcement officers who were passing by not long after the collision. He said they used extinguishers to help contain a fire in the Tiburon.

RCMP investigators were on the scene, attempting to determine what caused the accident.