UPDATE: Trans-Canada Highway re-opened near Corner Brook

High winds causing zero visibility, several vehicles in ditch or stuck on roadway

Published on February 5, 2013

The Trans-Canada Highway has been re-opened near Corner Brook, the RCMP advise.

A transport truck and a car remain in the median near the Lewin Parkway, but are not obstructing traffic.

Department of Transportation snow plows will be remain in the area to try to prevent the build up of snow, the RCMP notes.

Visibility, however, remains an issue due to the high winds and whiteouts, and the RCMP is advising motorists that if they don't need to travel, they should avoid venturing out on the highways.


Corner Brook RCMP is advising the public that all lanes of the Trans-Canada Highway running through the City of Corner Brook are being closed for an undetermined period due to high winds causing zero visibility. 

Police say several vehicles are in the ditch and several transport trucks  are stuck on the road.   All westbound traffic is being rerouted into the city at the Riverside Drive Exit. 

Eastbound traffic is being re-routed at the Massey Drive Exit into the city.  

The Department of Transportation has been contacted and will be assisting with the road closure.




Earlier story

Corner Brook RCMP are advising the public that high winds continue to plague the area and travel is not advised at this time due to current white out conditions.  

Police say several  vehicles are stuck on the highway near the Lewin Parkway exit into Corner Brook and visibility is extremely poor.

 Deer Lake and Corner Brook district RCMP are advising drivers of very dangerous driving conditions in the Corner Brook area, both east and west of Corner Brook.  

The RCMP is reporting numerous vehicles off the road on the Trans-Canada Highway. Police are advising motorists to stay off highways in the area until conditions improve and if you do have to travel, do so with extreme caution.


STEPHENVILLE — The Department of Transportation and Works was reporting wet roads and good visibility in most areas Monday afternoon.

Such was the case from Corner Brook to Stephenville Access Road (Route 460) and on the access road itself. It was a different story for the section of the Trans-Canada Highway from the access road to Port aux Basques, with slush and heavy, wet snow in areas. Winds gusts of up to 73 km/hr were reported at the Wreckhouse area and was expected to increase into the night.

Burgeo Highway (Route 480) was reported to have a few slippery and slushy sections with fair visibility in the afternoon.

A problem late last week with water flooding an estuary leading into Mattis Point, causing access to be restricted to emergency vehicles only, was cleared up on Saturday and there were no problems reported there Monday. Some minor shoulder repairs need to be made, which the Department of Transportation and Works said would be attended to once conditions permitted.

On Monday afternoon, Marine Atlantic reported the Highlanders ferry was tied up in Port aux Basques and the Blue Puttees was holding at port in North Sydney, N.S.

Passengers with reservations were being advised for the next 24 to 48 hours to keep checking back with the reservations line to see when the vessels would resume sailing.

There were no cancellations of schools reported in Stephenville or the larger Bay St. George area, including the Port au Port Peninsula on Monday.

It was a non-ski day at Marble Mountain as all 39 of its runs were closed due to inclement weather conditions brought on by mild weather. The runs were closed as of 10:45 a.m. and patrons were asked to check back on the website, www.skimarble.com.

Officials with Environment Canada were forecasting a large-scale weather system for Monday evening, with indications of significant storm surge potential through the night and into today. High waves in the range of eight to 10 metres were expected to develop with increased water levels expected along the coastline.

The high winds are expected to taper off later today.

In Corner Brook, city work crews spent Monday ensuring catch basins were clear of debris and slob ice. A backhoe was stationed at the North Street headwall specifically to make sure there was no trouble at that location.

The city’s heavy equipment was also busy clearing melting slush and ice off the main streets and side roads in anticipation of the 20 centimetres of snow expected overnight.