Seniors evacuated from complex after fire

Louis Power lpower@thetelegram.com
Published on May 1, 2013

About 80 residents of Bishop Meaden Manor, a seniors home on McLoughlan Street in St. John's, were evacuated to a neighbouring building Wednesday night after a pot that was left on a stove caught fire, causing fire and smoke damage to the apartment and filling the building with smoke. 

Firefighters are clearing smoke from the building. Most of the residents were expected to be able to return Wednesday night, except for the residents who live in the unit where the fire took place. That unit sustained fire and smoke damage.

There were no injuries but some residents were checked by paramedics as a precaution.