Woman who escaped custody returns to court

Rosie Mullaley rmullaley@thetelegram.com
Published on May 9, 2013
Kimberly Ann Parkinson turns her face away from TV cameras as she is led into provincial court in St. John’s Wednesday. — Photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

After a brief taste of freedom,  Kimberly Ann Parkinson was back in front of a judge Wednesday.

The 39-year-old — who escaped from sheriff’s officers Monday and was apprehended by the RNC Tuesday — once again appeared in provincial court.

A charge of unlawful escape from custody and two breaches of court orders were added to the slew of other charges she already faces, including close to a dozen counts of theft.

Parkinson — whose face was plastered all over local media after her getaway — ducked to try to hide her face from reporters as she was led in and out of the courtroom, and cursed when cameras were able to catch a glimpse of her face.

She consented to be remanded into custody and her case was set over to May 22.

Parkinson took off from sheriff’s officers outside the St. John’s Lockup on Water Street at around 5:15 p.m. Monday as she and seven other prisoners were being transported from provincial court.

Sources say when the sheriff’s officers’ van pulled up to the lockup door and the prisoners were getting out, a female prisoner tripped and fell to the ground, distracting the two officers who were escorting the group.

That’s when Parkinson made a run for it.

A few sheriff’s officers who were asked about the incident said they think the fall was a planned distraction.

As with most prisoners, Parkinson reportedly was wearing a restraint called a D-ring, which handcuffs the prisoners’ wrists to a chained belt and includes a leg restraint to prevent the prisoners from running. But Parkinson had not been wearing the leg restraint because she had been complaining about a leg injury.

She was picked up around 2 p.m. Tuesday. Police wouldn’t say where she was found or whether or not she was still wearing the restraints, but said she was arrested without incident.



Twitter: @TelyCourt