Accused murderer Kenny Green granted bail

Strict conditions apply to his release

Rosie Mullaley
Published on January 18, 2014
Accused murderer Kenny Green (right) speaks with his lawyer, Randy Piercey, moments before being granted bail Friday afternoon.
— Photo by Keith Gosse/The Telegram

Kenny Green, the man suspected of beating another man to death in St. John’s last March, was granted bail Friday on strict conditions by Newfoundland Supreme Court.

Justice William Goodridge heard the bail review Thursday. Evidence from the hearing was banned from publication.

Security was extremely tight in Supreme Court, which doesn’t usually have security screening in place.

Goodridge imposed strict conditions on Green, which included he post three sureties of $25,000 each with the court, that he live with his mother, have no contact with a long list of people — including anyone related to the victim — obey curfew and abstain from drugs and alcohol.

Other conditions include that he have no firearms or weapons, and he must report to the RNC four times a week.

Green has pleaded not guilty to a charge of second-degree murder.

The 35-year-old is accused of killing 47-year-old Joey Whalen, who died in hospital March 17, 2013, two days after he was reportedly beaten at a house on Tessier Place in the downtown area of the city. Green was arrested in connection with the murder.

Shortly after his arrest, he was ordered to undergo a psychiatric evaluation at the Waterford Hospital. While at the hospital, he was charged with conspiring with Matthew O’Quinn to escape lawful custody in April 2013 after nurses found sheets tied together in the room they were sleeping in. With those charges still pending, Green was denied bail in June 2013 by Justice Donald Burrage.

However, last month, Green and O’Quinn were found not guilty of the conspiracy charge.

Green then sought the bail review in Supreme Court.

St. John’s lawyer Randy Piercey is representing Green. Sheldon Steeves is the Crown prosecutor in the case.

Green is due back in court March 3.

Twitter: TelyCourt