Injured snowmobiler airlifted from Harbour Deep

Diane Crocker
Published on February 25, 2014

A 45-year-old man from Lumsden had to be airlifted from Harbour Deep Saturday after he broke his leg while on a snowmobile trip.

Sgt. Terry Foster of the Deer Lake Royal Canadian Mounted Police said the man was part of a group of 13 snowmobilers travelling from Roddicton to Jackson’s Arm. The group stopped at Danny Corcoran Lodge in Harbour Deep, and it was there the man was injured.

“The subject was backing up his snowmobile and he struck his leg on another snowmobile, on the hitch portion,” said Foster.

The impact resulted in the man fracturing his leg. Foster described it as being “quite serious.”

Police were notified of the incident around 4 p.m., and Foster said there were some communication issues with the satellite phone in use at the lodge.

He said the man was taken inside the lodge, made comfortable and provided some nutrients.

“It was just a matter of waiting for him to be airlifted out of there,” Foster said. “In a case like that when there’s somebody out in the wilderness, areas that aren’t accessible by road or ambulance, both Western Health and Eastern Health become involved and they are the ones that facilitate the transport.”

He said normally a private company is tasked with doing so.

“This case here was a little different and the Department of National Defence was called in by Eastern Health.”

Foster said it involved a night flight of some distance and there were weather issues.

Maj. Martell Thompson, spokes-man for the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Halifax, N.S., said the centre received a call from Eastern Health at 4:35 p.m.

“We tasked a Cormorant helicopter from 103 Squadron in Gander to medevac the injured patient,” Thompson said.

All in all, the operation was a success, Thomspson said.

“We were able to transport him to Deer Lake.”

The man was taken from Deer Lake to Western Memorial Regional Hospital in Corner Brook by ambulance. Foster said the man underwent surgery on his leg.

He didn’t have any other information Monday.

The incident is under investigation by the RCMP.