UPDATE: Arrest made in George Street stabbing

Published on March 29, 2014
Jake Long, 18, is facing a charge of aggravated assault for allegedly stabbing a 36-year-old man over the weekend.
— Photo by Andrew Robinson/The Telegram

An 18-year-old is charged with aggravated assault for allegedly stabbing another man on George Street in St. John’s over the weekend.

Jake Long appeared in a St. John’s courtroom early Saturday afternoon, less than 12 hours after police were called to George Street to investigate a disturbance.

The 36-year-old victim was transported to the Health Sciences Centre. A Royal Newfoundland Constabulary spokeswoman said he sustained significant injuries that were not believed to be life threatening.

Long is also facing charges of assault with a weapon (a knife), possession of a weapon for dangerous purposes, and possession of a concealed weapon. After he was taken into police custody, Long allegedly damaged property at RNC Headquarters. That resulted in a charge for damaging property.

Duty counsel lawyer Heidi Marshall requested that Long undergo a psychiatric assessment. She indicated the accused hoped to be sent to the Waterford Hospital and said he did not want to remain in the St. John’s Lockup.

Asked later by Judge Patrick Kennedy whether he had anything to say, Long reiterated what Marshall said, stating emphatically he was unwilling to go back to what he called “the clock tower.”

However, Kennedy said it was not in his power to determine where Long would be sent for a psychiatric assessment, indicating that decision would be in the hands of the Superintendent of Prisons for the province.

With Crown prosecutor Natalie Payne stating that undergoing a psychiatric assessment was reasonable given the seriousness of the charges, Kennedy granted the request.

Long is remanded in custody until his next courtroom appearance on Monday.


(Earlier story)

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has confirmed an 18-year-old man in police custody will face multiple charges following a stabbing incident early Saturday on George Street in St. John’s.

Police said the accused will be charged with aggravated assault and assault with a weapon when he appears in court later today.

The 36-year-old male victim remains in hospital, where he is being treated for what police describe as significant but non-life threatening injuries.

Police were called to George Street at approximately 2:40 a.m. Saturday.


(Earlier story)

Police in St. John’s are investigating an apparent stabbing incident on George Street that happened overnight Friday.

According to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary’s overnight report, officers were called to the popular street known for its bars and pubs at 2:40 a.m. to respond to a disturbance.

The injured male was found there and received some assistance from police before being taken to the Health Sciences Centre.

Police have not provided information on his condition but did say the injuries were consistent with a stabbing.

As of early Saturday morning, no arrests have been made.