Judge gives man 4 1/2 years for St. John’s crime spree

Josh Pennell Josh.pennell@thetelegram.com
Published on March 8, 2014
Evan Lambe at provincial court in St. John’s Friday.
— Photo by Rhonda Hayward/The Telegram

The booty added up to only some beer, a meal and about 50 bucks, but a 24-year-old St. John’s man has been sentenced to 4 1/2 years for a crime spree he went on in October of last year.

Evan Lambe said he remembers little to nothing about the specifics of Oct. 29, but in February he pleaded guilty to the charges against him.

Earlier in the day in question, Lambe said, he started taking his prescription anxiety medication heavily and drank several dozen beer over the day and evening. That night he robbed beer from an Ultramar gas station. He then ate a meal at the Celtic Hearth restaurant and left without paying for it.

His most serious crime that night was putting a knife to the throat of a cab driver and demanding cash. He got away with a few bills and some change that added up to about $50.

Lambe has been in trouble with the law before and has had a prior conviction for robbery. In August, he was jumped and violently beaten. The incident put him in a coma for a week. He was released from hospital after a month with metal plates in his face and head and a prescription for anxiety medication.

If Lambe gave those facts in court in February to try to garner some sympathy, it didn’t seem to work. Judge Jim Walsh said in court on Friday that because of that incident, Lambe should know what it’s like to be a victim. Walsh also referred to the victim impact statement written by the cab driver Lambe had pulled the knife on that night.

“Fearless, reckless and out of control,” was how Walsh said the driver described Lambe’s behaviour. The driver also said it was the first time he had been afraid for his life. Since the incident, he goes to work every day in fear.

Walsh said those things had to be considered when deciding the sentence, as did the fact that Lambe had pleaded guilty to the current charges and had made written apologies, both to the court and the cab driver he had robbed.

The judge handed down a four-year sentence for the armed robbery of the cab driver, with the rest of the jail time being for the other crimes.

Walsh told Lambe he was at a crossroads in his life. He said he hoped he would get the help he needed and straighten out his life. Lambe told the court previously he wanted help with his addictions, which included a penchant for morphine.

Walsh said if this time served didn’t put Lambe on the right path, he felt he would spend a good portion of his adult life in jail.

Lambe didn’t say anything in court when his sentence was handed down.

Twenty-nine-year-old Sarah Eisnor has also been charged in connection with the crime spree. Her case is still before the court.