Dangerous driver gets intermittent jail term, hefty fines

Rosie Mullaley rmullaley@thetelegram.com
Published on April 24, 2014
Blair Piercey was was found guilty of multiple charges  on Wednesday in provincial court in St. John’s He was given an intermittent jail term and fines stemming from the incident which occurred on Aug., 3, 2013.
— File photo by Rosie Gillingham/The Telegram

A man who exposed himself in public and then drove erratically while trying to escape from police will serve his jail term on weekends.
But Blair Piercey has to dish out almost $3,000 in fines, including $2,300 for drunk driving-related charges and he was banned from driving for more than two years.

The sentence - which included a 90-day intermittent prison term - was handed down Wednesday in provincial court in St. John's.

The 24-year-old pleaded guilty to indecent exposure, resisting arrest, impaired driving, dangerous driving, unlawful confinement, failing the breathalyzer and failing to appear in court.

The majority of the charges stem from an incident that happened on Aug. 3, 2013.

At around 1:35 p.m. that day, a woman reported seeing a man, wearing no shirt and blue shorts, expose his penis and fondle himself while following her as she was walking in Manuels.

By the time police arrived, Piercey had sped off in a Chevy Blazer. Having run a check on the vehicle, officers arrived at the owner's house, where they spotted Piercey.

But Piercey ran, jumped a fence and then took off in the Blazer.

Police spotted the vehicle on a daycare parking lot in Mount Pearl. Piercey, who had a female passenger, sped off upon seeing police. The officers pursued him and noticed he was weaving in and out of traffic. He also ran a four-way stop and a red light.

The woman later told police that she was frightened and insisted Piercey let her out, but he refused.

According to the facts of the case, an officer in the area caught up to him at a house on the Foxtrap Access Road.

Piercey had left the vehicle and tried to run, but the officer wrestled him to the ground and handcuffed him. Since the officer's police radio didn't work, he had to call 911 for backup. A breath test indicated Piercey's blood alcohol level was well above the legal limit.

In making a recommendation on sentencing, Crown prosecutor Jennifer Colford pointed out that Piercey's pre-sentence report deemed him a high risk to reoffend. She said what he did endangered the public and suggested a five-month jail term with fines for Piercey.

Defence lawyer Tim O'Brien said Piercey had a drinking problem, but hasn't touched alcohol since the incident and has a good job. He suggested allowing Piercey to serve his sentence on weekends.

Judge Colin Flynn agreed, but pointed out that Piercey is lucky he didn't seriously injure or kill anybody.

As part of the sentence, Piercey's name will be listed on Canada's Sex Offenders Registry for 10 years.

"All this has gotten you an awful lot of punishment and penalties," the judge said.