Man suspected in crime spree, wild car chase with police appears in court

38-year-old to stay in jail until next court date later this month

Rosie Mullaley
Published on May 21, 2014

A 38-year-old man suspected of smashing a stolen car into a police car after leading officers on a chase on a busy capital city highway appeared in provincial court Wednesday.

Jason Wilfrid Fried of St. John’s faces 15 charges, including dangerous driving, that were laid as a result of an incident that happened Tuesday night.

According to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, around

10 p.m., officers responded to a theft at a service station in the Goulds area.

Witnesses were able to provide a description of the vehicle, which had been earlier reported stolen and was being operated with stolen licence plates.

At 11:10 p.m., the suspect vehicle was spotted by police in the area of Old Placentia Road in Mount Pearl.

The driver of the vehicle sped off and was able to avoid police.

At 12:26 a.m., officers responded to a break and entry at an Ultramar service station in Kilbride. The RNC said it was determined that the person responsible was also the person wanted in the earlier theft and left the break-and-entry scene in the same stolen vehicle.

About 20 minutes later, officers saw the stolen vehicle in the area of Thorburn Road. A police chase began and the suspect led police east on the Outer Ring Road, where the pursuit came to an end when the stolen vehicle collided with a marked police car.

The driver got out of the car and ran, but was caught a short time later by patrol officers and the K-9 unit.

There were no injuries in the collision and damage was moderate.

Along with dangerous driving, Fried has been charged with theft, break and entry, two charges of flight from police, possessing stolen property and several breaches of court orders.

Lawyers agreed to have Fried return to jail until his next court date — May 28.

The RNC said the investigation is ongoing and further charges may be laid.

Twitter: @TelyCourt