Woman who offered help, but took man’s groceries, jailed

Rosie Mullaley rmullaley@thetelegram.com
Published on June 19, 2014
Angela Mary Walsh is led out of provincial court in St. John’s Thursday after she was sentenced to almost five months in jail.
— Photo by Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram

A woman who appeared to be a Good Samaritan but turned out to be a thief has been given a five-month jail term.

Angela Mary Walsh was sentenced in provincial court Thursday.

The 39-year-old pleaded guilty to two counts each of assault, theft and uttering threats. She also pleaded guilty to fraudulently obtaining transportation, along with several counts of breaching court orders and breaching conditions of her probation.

A charge of robbery with violence was withdrawn by the Crown in exchange of the guilty pleas.

The charges were in connection with several incidents, but the most serious happened July 30, 2013, on Goodview Street in downtown St. John’s.

A man was carrying groceries home on his bike at 9:30 p.m. when he lost control and fell.

Walsh approached the man and asked if he needed help. The victim said he did, but Walsh didn’t help. Instead, she took his groceries.

The man asked what she was doing and demanded she give him back his groceries.

Walsh cursed at him and walked away. The man was shaken, but not injured.

Neighbours who saw what had happened called police, and when officers arrived they directed them to Walsh, who was still in the area.

On May 31, 2013, Walsh also stole four packages of steaks from Sobeys on Merrymeeting Road and assaulted the store security guard.

Twice in September 2013, she was found passed out and intoxicated — Sept. 6 on a bench on Livingstone Street and Sept. 13 on a  downtown walking trail.

She was on court orders to abstain from alcohol.

On April 15 of this year, Walsh skipped out on paying a cab fare.

Noting Walsh’s lengthy criminal record, Crown prosecutor Shawn Patten suggested the judge impose a jail term of close to a year.

Defence lawyer Tony St. George said 3 1/2 months behind bars would be more appropriate.

When Walsh addressed the court, she confessed her sins to God and said she has little or no memory of the July 30 incident.

Judge Mark Linehan said Walsh continues to commit the same offences and warned her that sentences will be harsher in the future if she breaks the law again.

The sentence included a year-long probation, with conditions that she stay away from the man whom she assaulted and stay away from Sobeys.

The judge also recommended she take counselling related to alcohol abuse.

“All I can say is good luck,” Linehan said, “and I hope I don’t see you back here.”


Twitter: @TelyCourt