UPDATE: Bell Island man dies in boating accident

Published on July 19, 2014

Bell Island RCMP have confirmed one of the three men who were in a boat that capsized Saturday morning has died.

In a news release, police said the three men were taking part in the recreation food fishery that started the same day. They were rescued from the water by other men who were fishing in the area.

The men had departed from Bell Island earlier that morning.

Police are still investigating the cause of death.


(Earlier story)

Three people were sent to hospital after a boat capsized near Bell Island late Saturday morning.

A boat travelling in the same area reportedly found three people on top of the capsized boat and managed to help them. They were taken to hospital upon arrival at the wharf in Portugal Cove. No details are available about the condition of those rescued.

A call about the capsized boat was made to Joint Rescue Coordination Centre (JRCC) Halifax at 11:30 a.m.

According to Capt. Kimberly Lemaire, JRCC sent out a call for assistance to boats possibly in the area, but it was called off approximately 10 minutes later after word came in that a boat had already rescued three people and reached shore.

The capsized boat has since been recovered along with other items, all of which were turned over to the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary. Lemaire said life-jackets were among the items retrieved from the water.

Several officers were speaking with witnesses at the wharf early Saturday afternoon.


(Earlier story)

Three people were rescued near Bell Island after a boat capsized midday Saturday.

Police, paramedics and firefighters were stationed at the wharf in Portugal Cove as the rescued passengers from the capsized boat were brought to the shore.

The three people were transported to hospital. No information is available about their condition. The capsized boat had not been retrieved as of early Saturday afternoon.

A large number of boats are expected to take part in the start of this year’s recreational cod fishery. The fishery opened Saturday.

The Telegram will update this story as more information becomes available.