Blaze damages house; cat dies from smoke inhalation

Published on July 2, 2014
A resident of the dwelling is treated by Eastern Health paramedics after she took in smoke while escaping her home.
— Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

Two people were taken to hospital with undetermined injuries following a fire Wednesday night at 248 Buckmaster’s Circle in St. John’s.


A Newfoundland and Labrador Housing Corp. unit was heavily damaged just past 7 p.m.

Acting Supt. Charlie Quick of the St. John’s Regional Fire Department said the fire started on the third floor of the row house, but firefighters were able to contain the blaze to that one house.

Several cats that were taken out of the house and put on the sidewalk in a cage had to be given oxygen. One cat has since died.

The home is located near the intersection with Golf Avenue.

Numerous St. John’s Regional Fire Department firefighters were at the scene, along with a number of Eastern Health paramedics and ambulances.