Man suffers second-degree burns in cooking fire

Published on January 6, 2016

No other residents injured

One man suffered second-degree burns to his hands as the result of a cooking fire on Mayor Avenue early Wednesday morning.

An official with the fire department says a pot apparently ignited on a stove and the man was injured while trying to take it outside as it was burning. The fire filled the house with smoke but did not cause any significant fire damage to the dwelling.

The Central and West End stations of the St. John’s Regional fire department as well as Eastern Health paramedics and the RNC responded to the incident shortly before 1 a.m. A large fan was used to remove smoke from inside the building.

The victim was taken to the Health Sciences Centre for treatment while a number of other occupants of the home were uninjured.