The organizer of last summer’s Rod Stewart concert hopes to double-down.
Mighty Quinton Productions has applied to hold a two-day concert this summer on Confederation grounds, where last summer’s Confederation Hill Music Festival was held, bringing in acts such as Stewart, Blue Rodeo and the Goo Goo Dolls.
The city’s community services and housing committee approved the request, providing traffic issues can be worked out for an unspecified Saturday and Sunday, said Coun. Sandy Hickman.
“We don’t feel that we can block traffic for two days on the Prince Phillip Parkway, so we have to talk to traffic staff … about how that would work, whether we would just close two lanes for the concert itself and would we be able to keep one side open so we’d have one-lane traffic going east-west,” he said. “The short answer is yes, we’re supportive in principle, but we’re working on some details with traffic flow.”
Peter Quinton of Mighty Quinton Productions could not be reached for comment. He told the CBC last month that tough economic conditions — including a weaker Canadian dollar — have him uncertain whether he will actually put on a show this summer.
The application to council has no details about a lineup for the possible two-day festival, and Hickman said he believes Quinton is getting everything in place while deciding if the show will go ahead.
“He wants to, first of all, be sure it’s available to him, and wants possibly to do two days because it may be out of reach to get the big-time American acts because of the poor Canadian dollar versus American,” said Hickman. “I think that he’s just hedging his bets and that may be why he’d do something over two days with cheaper acts, but I don’t think he’s out of the running yet for a huge American act for a one-day affair again. He has not told us anything — he hasn’t given up any information on that at all.”
email@example.com, Twitter: @DanMacEachern