Man suspected in stabbing, standoff may have bail hearing

Published on April 20, 2017

Justin Michael Jordan (a.k.a. Hussey) is led into provincial court in St. John’s Thursday afternoon, a day after being arrested for allegedly stabbing another man.

©Rosie Mullaley/The Telegram

A man accused of stabbing another man and barricading himself inside an apartment building will stay behind bars for now.

Justin Michael Jordan (a.k.a. Hussey) made a brief appearance in provincial court in St. John’s Thursday afternoon, about 12 hours after being taken into custody.

Duty counsel Catherine Boyde and Crown prosecutor Tannis King agreed to set the case over until Friday, when a bail hearing may be held, Boyde said.

Jordan faces charges of assault with a weapon, mischief (property damage), uttering threats to police officers and breaching conditions of a probation order.

The 24-year-old was charged as a result of an incident in the capital city early Thursday morning.

At 12:30 a.m., Jordan was said to have stabbed a man on Empire Avenue. Police say the two men know each other.

RNC officers tracked Jordan to an apartment building on Anpatch Street, in the west end of the capital city, where he lived and had barricaded himself inside. 

Officers with patrol services division, criminal investigation division, forensic identification services and police dog services went to the apartment building. Police say Jordan told officers he was armed and reportedly smashed out a window in the unit.

An incident command was established and included the tactics and rescue unit and negotiators. Some residents in adjacent units were asked to temporarily vacate their apartments for their safety.

After police negotiated with Jordan for a few hours, he gave himself up at 3:30 a.m. and was arrested without incident, police said.

Meanwhile, the 45-year-old stabbing victim was transported to hospital prior to emergency responders arriving and remains there in serious but stable condition, police say.