Top News

21-year-old driver charged with attempted murder in St. John’s

A man was arrested Sept. 24 following an incident involving a car and several pedestrians on Bartlett Place in September. The man, David Loveys, is facing charges including assault and attempted murder. Photo by Keith Gosse
A man was arrested Sept. 24 following an incident involving a car and several pedestrians on Bartlett Place in September. The man, David Loveys, is facing charges including assault and attempted murder. Photo by Keith Gosse

The man charged with attempting to kill three people by intentionally trying to strike them with his car will remain behind bars for now.

David Loveys is led into provincial court in St. John's Tuesday.

David Loveys of Mount Pearl appeared in provincial court in St. John's Tuesday afternoon.
His lawyer Mark Gruchy and Crown prosecutor Jessica Gallant agreed to set the case over to Feb. 16.
The 21-year-old is charged with attempted murder and uttering threats in connection with an incident that happened in Mount Pearl in September 2016.
Loveys, who has no criminal record, had already been charged with dangerous driving and assault with a weapon (his car) in connection with the incident. He had been released from jail after his initial arrest after the incident.
Following a further investigation, police opted to lay the more serious charge of attempted murder and take him into custody again today.
Gruchy said despite the additional charges, there are no new facts to the case, which have no been made public yet.
rmullaley@thetelegram.com
Twitter: TelyCourt

Photo by Keith Gosse

Earlier story:

A 21-year-old man, David Loveys, is facing new charges of uttering threats and attempted murder, extending from a police investigation into the injury of three pedestrians in St. John’s in late September.

On Saturday, Sept. 24, at about 9 p.m., police were called out to Bartlett Place, after a vehicle struck a trio of pedestrians. All three people hit were taken to hospital, with what the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary described as serious but not life-threatening injuries.

At the time, the 21-year-old driver was arrested and charged with dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and assault with a weapon (the weapon being the vehicle).

But in a press release issued this afternoon, the RNC said investigation in the months since has led to additional charges as of this morning.The Telegram was at the scene on the night in question, where it appeared the vehicle may have struck one or more people walking on the street and then collided with a parked commercial truck in a driveway.

When The Telegram arrived on scene, a man was handcuffed and being read his rights as Eastern Health paramedics treated the victims in three separate ambulances. A second male had to be restrained by RNC officers on scene as he shouted at the suspect and a third man, a parent to one of the victims, also had to be restrained and calmed by officers as he tried to gain access to the suspect. The suspect was treated on scene by paramedics for apparent irritant spray exposure to his eyes. He was placed in the rear of a police cruiser and taken from the area as police taped off the scene for investigators. Both the car and the truck were extensively damaged in the incident. 

Latest News