Top News

Axe-throwing business still on target


The man behind the proposed St. John’s axe-throwing facility said that his business plans are still on target, despite an announcement from Coun. Bruce Tilley at Monday night’s city council meeting.

Joe Gibbons/The Telegram
Adrian Beaton holds the tool for the latest recreational activity coming to the province — axe throwing. Beaton and partner Paul MacInnis are in the process of starting their new business, Jack Axes Inc.

Adrian Beaton said that because the lease fell through on Topsail Rd., close to the Village Mall, the plan has changed, and now he’s looking at setting up shop down on Water Street, close to the TD Building.

Related stories:

Axe-throwing business gets killed

The axemen cometh

“This is definitely, definitely still going ahead,” he said. “We were actually contacted by someone who has a place on Water Street, and we’ll be dropping off that application today.”

When Tilley made the announcement Monday that the axe-throwing application had been withdrawn, he didn’t exactly sound disappointed.

“The proponent has withdrawn his application, and I thank God for that,” he said.

Beaton said that with a school across the road, and close to some residential neighbourhoods, he understands why there was a bit of a cool reception to the initial application. He said he hopes once they get up and running on Water Street, Tilley will come down and try throwing some axes.

“We’re hoping to open up downtown, and actually, we’d love to have the councillors in once we’re open — particularly Mr. Tilley — just to show them, kind of what we’re all about,” he said.

Beaton said in light of the concerns some people are voicing, Jack Axes Inc. is starting a petition for people to show their support for the business.

Recent Stories