Some $77 million was allocated in this year’s budget for the 2017 provincial roads program.
That includes funding for a $2.5-million pilot project to test the effectiveness, safety and value of road construction at night and a $3.7-million project to study the asphalt specification best suited for the province’s climate and environment, both of which will start in August.
Transportation and Works Minister Al Hawkins offered a reminder to motorists to be patient, drive safe, slow down and be prepared to stop when travelling through construction zones.
Projects presently underway or completed include:
- Replacing of Clam Brook Bridge on Route 210, Burin Peninsula.
- Upgrading and repaving sections of Route 210, Burin Peninsula Highway
- Replacing of LaManche River Bridge, Route 10
- Pulverizing and paving sections of Route 100-17 and Route 100, Cape Shore Highway
- Repairing Southeast Brook Bridge, Route 100-10
- Repairing Old Bay Bulls Overpass, Route 2
- Repairing Southwest Brook Bridge and Pete Strides Bridge, Route 480
- Replacing culverts and repaving 10 kilometres of Route 490, Stephenville Access Road
- Resurfacing sections of Route 230 near Clarenville Airstrip
- Paving Trans Labrador Highway between Red Bay and Lodge Bay
- Replacing culverts and ditching on White Bay South Highway, Route 420
- Upgrading roads and ditching on North Shore Highway, Route 440, and South Shore Highway, Route 450
- Repairing Peter Stride’s Bridge and Southwest Brook Bridge, Burgeo Highway, Route 480
- Replacing culverts on Baie Verte Highway, Route 410
- Repaving bridge decks of Victoria Bridge and Salmon Cove Bridge, Conception Bay North Highway, Route 70
Projects beginning in the coming days and weeks include:
- Repaving sections of Route 2, Pitt’s Memorial Drive, and Topsail Road Overpass of Outer Ring Road
- Repaving sections of the Trans-Canada Highway (TCH) between St. John’s and Whitbourne
- Repaving sections of Route 75, Veteran’s Memorial Highway
- Repaving sections of Route 3, Robert E. Howlett Memorial Drive
- Repaving sections of the TCH between Sir Robert Bond Bridge and Grand Falls-Windsor
- Upgrading and repaving of various sections of Route 230, Bonavista Peninsula Highway
- Mill and fill various sections along 75 kilometres of the TCH between Whitbourne and Goobies.
- Constructing of a six-lane overpass on Team Gushue Highway over Topsail Road.
- Repaving of Route 460, Whites Road
- Asphalt levelling and paving various sections of Route 430, Northern Peninsula
- Asphalt levelling various sections of Route 510, Labrador