Top News

Updated: Firefighters at scene of house fire in St. John’s

House fire on Bonaventure Avenue being fought by St. John's Regional firefighters.
House fire on Bonaventure Avenue being fought by St. John's Regional firefighters. - Joe Gibbons

Overheated clothes dryer deemed the cause

Firefighter's from various St. John's Regional Fire Department stations are currently at a house fire on Bonaventure Avenue in St. John’s, across from Brother Rice junior high school.

Upon arrival, the first crews from the Central Fire Station were met with smoke coming from the structure.

They immediately attacked with a charged hose line as other firefighters hauled off four-inch main lines and attached them to the fire hydrant about 100 feet down the road.

The area was blocked off from Empire Avenue to Fleming Street do to the number of first responder vehicles on the scene.

One firefighter made his way up a ladder and put his self-contained breathing apparatus on and crawled into the home through an upstairs window.

There doesn't appear to be any injuries at this time and crews are using a smoke eater to vent the home from smoke.  

Firefighters removed this clothes dryer from the home.
Firefighters removed this clothes dryer from the home.

Platoon Chief Gerry O'Neill said the cause of the fire appears to be an over-heated clothes dryer. A passer by noticed smoke coming from the home and called 911.

He said firefighters doused the fire with water/foam and the fire was mainly confined to the area around the dryer with minor smoke damage throughout the house.

“That’s how important it is not to turn on your clothes dryer and leave your house,” O’Neill said. “Another few minutes and we possibly could've had a much larger fire to deal with.”

The fire crews are conducting their mopping up operations now and draining hose lines and restoring them back to their pumper unit.

The road reopened shortly after 12:30 p.m. to traffic.

Recent Stories