RNC reaches out to LGBT community

Daniel
Daniel MacEachern

With Pride Week right around the corner, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) is reaching out to the province’s lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) community.

“It’s about ensuring that our policies meet the needs of the LGBT communities,” RNC Chief William Janes said at a news conference at police headquarters Thursday.

“It’s about ensuring that there are no barriers for anybody

who wants to seek a career with the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, and as well it’s about ensuring

that we’re approachable for potential victims of crime who may

be members of the LGBT community.”

A centrepiece of the force’s efforts is a new video targeted at the LGBT community, featuring officers promoting tolerance and diversity and encouraging recruitment.

“If you can serve, you can serve,” say officers in the short video.

Insp. Pat Roche says the video grew out of a committee struck earlier this year that includes LGBT members of the RNC to discuss ways to become involved in Pride Week.

“This was one of the suggestions that came back from one of the members within the group,” said Roche.

“He took it upon himself, came up with the script and got the assistance of officers from patrol services, and the video was shot.”

The video speaks to inclusiveness within the RNC, said Roche, and while the video specifically targets the LGBT community, it’s part of the force’s broader efforts to reach out to other traditionally underrepresented groups.

“Our slogan is about celebrating diversity,” said Janes. “Over the past year we’ve reached out to other groups besides the LGBT community. That has included the Chinese community, the Muslim community, the Coalition of Persons With Disabilities, who we recently did a blue-zone project with in terms of people parking in disabled parking places. So this is just another event in terms of our reaching out into the community, and it’s in the forefront because next week is Pride Week.”

Const. Georgina Short outlined the police force’s participation in this year’s Pride Week, which begins next week.

The RNC will take part in Monday’s flag-raising Monday at Confederation Building; it will host a “Coffee With Cops” recruitment session Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Rocket Bakery; on Thursday an officer will be at Memorial University for a presentation with members of the LGBT community; and the force will be part of the parade

July 20.

This week, the force affixed rainbow-bordered “Celebrate Diversity” magnetic stickers to the bumpers of its cruisers.

Organizations: Coalition of Persons, Confederation Building

Comments

Comments

• seanoairborne
    July 13, 2014 - 12:55

I don't know if I'm being mocked or if I actually got through to you?Either way I thank you for the courtesy of getting back to me and ,perhaps,proving me wrong?Classy and well done!!PS I will renew my subscription.

• seanoairborne
    July 11, 2014 - 20:33

You guys are a mini PRAVDA!!!I picked up a subscription to the Telegram for a month and was going to continue it if you were fair.But you're not!!!You never publish any of my letters referring to Multiculturalism,Global warming or the LGBT issue like I'm some kind of Neanderthal!But,alas, I forgot that you have a restriction on free speech up there,just like the old USSR!!We have a first amendment right to free speech here in the US but you put people on trial if they even mention words such as "Muslim" in an unfavorable light!You have all went so damn nuts with this global warming,Multiculturalism and the LGBT garbage that you sound insane!!The dumb Newfie cops who were saying "I've got your back" in their dumb promo meant that literally! It's not any different then advertising in Utah and recruiting polygamists!That will be legal some day too,but because something is legal doesn't make it right or moral!I'm through with you and know a few people back on the Rock that will not be re-subscribing to your lefturd BS any more either!!You are nothing but dumb and ignorant Sheeple!

• seanoairborne
    July 11, 2014 - 20:00

You guys are a mini PRAVDA!!!

• seanoairborne
    July 11, 2014 - 18:03

They're all wacky in the noggan!! PS I know you won't print this because the United States Of America you are not!!Have some guts and prove me wrong?

• seanoairborne
    July 11, 2014 - 18:02

• Glenn Stockley
    July 11, 2014 - 10:28

Too bad they don't reach out to some of the people flooding St. John's with hard drugs and put the handcuffs on them……r.n.c. has much more pressing concerns than trying to implement a politically correct affirmative action hiring program…...

• Lloyd
      July 11, 2014 - 15:15

I compliment the RNC for their action. I knew it was only a matter of time. There is too much gay bashing in this city. It is just NOT reported. What is the difference between a Gay/Bi/Lesbian/Tg police office and a "straight" officer? You are there to do your job. What is done behind closed doors is the business of no one.