Ontario woman seeks family of deceased N.L. man

Barb
Barb Sweet

Does anyone know Gordon Boyd Noseworthy?
A North York, Ont., woman contacted The Telegram this week to say her apartment complex neighbour had died and doesn’t appear to have any next of kin.

Telegram investigates

Carline Watson said the man said he was originally from Newfoundland, but was divorced and has no children.

According to Watson, as of Friday there had so far been no funeral for Noseworthy, as there is no one for the hospital to contact.

Attempts, through numerous phone calls, to get officials at the Humber River Hospital to verify the story were unsuccessful.

A social worker who returned a phone call to The Telegram left a message suggesting the reporter talk to the neighbour — a conversation which had already occurred.

Finally reached later, the social worker said she could not speak about the case and referred The Telegram to the hospital’s public relations spokesman.

Late Friday afternoon, public and corporate communications director Gerard Power told The Telegram that because of privacy laws, he could not confirm either whether Noseworthy had died or say anything about his case.

He said in general if someone dies without a known next of kin, the hospital has protocols, including notifying police and the public guardian and trustee to try to find a relative.

Patients passing away without anyone to contact or claim their remains happens from time to time.

“Unfortunately this is not new,” he said.

The phone at Noseworthy’s residence was still in service Friday, with the message, “Hello, this is Gord. I am away from my phone at the present time.”

According to Watson, Noseworthy, 86, died on Aug. 3 and had lived in the Harding Avenue building for 34 years.

He owned a 1980 Dodge Aspen that he didn’t drive anymore, but tinkered with often.

Watson said she and her husband had a parking space near Noseworthy’s and were passing by one recent day when he collapsed.

“We hadn’t seen him in two weeks. … He was very thin,” she said, adding she learned afterwards he had prostate cancer and other health problems.

Watson said they called an ambulance and he was admitted to the Humber River Hospital on July 24.

Watson said she visited him every day at the hospital except the day he died, when she was in church.

She said he had keys in his wallet, so she was able to access his car in the hopes of finding contact information for someone in Newfoundland. Watson was not granted access to his apartment.

Watson acknowledged she and her husband hadn’t spoken with Noseworthy at length during the year they have lived there, so she doesn’t know much else about him. He wasn’t alert much while he was in hospital.

“He was a very softspoken man,” she said.

Watson said phone bills in his car didn’t show any calls made to anyone or any calls made to him.

“He would say, ‘I have no one. For anyone to be buried alone is not nice,’” she said. “I can’t believe this man had no family members.”

An Internet search turned up no obituary for Noseworthy.

bsweet@thetelegram.com

Organizations: The Telegram, Humber River Hospital

Geographic location: Newfoundland, Ontario, Harding Avenue

Comments

Comments

• Starla Noseworthy
    August 15, 2014 - 23:38

My husband is a Noseworthy from bell island NFLD. Could try looking there? I will inquire with family

• Pam
    August 12, 2014 - 19:26

My brother is home visiting from Toronto and knows this gentleman! He has had coffee with him at McDonalds many mornings! He is from Pouch Cove, would always say to my brother that people pronounced Pouch wrong!

• esther
    August 12, 2014 - 14:38

I knew friends in Toronto Ontario ... last name was noseworthy, from Sydney cape Breton ... I believe their decent was from newfoundland ... if this is a help, my friends name is, George noseworthy, in the etobicoke and lakeshore area, in long branch, I believe, he still lives there ... if this may be of any help tp you. thanx

• S Vater
    August 12, 2014 - 03:06

I found a Gordon who would have been born in 1928 in Pouch Cove, NL. See info below. 1935 CENSUS POUCH COVE SECTION: SHOE COVE To: BAULINE ST. JOHN'S EAST DISTRICT 153 179 NOSEWORTHY Harry Head M M 48 NOSEWORTHY Annie Wife F M 43 NOSEWORTHY Victor Son M - 17 NOSEWORTHY Gordon Son M - 7

• esther waugh
      August 12, 2014 - 14:57

.I know of noseworthy;s in Toronto .. etobicoke ... from Sydney, cape Breton ... I believe they are newfoundland decent, if this helps ... I am also related to noseworthys from burin n.f.l.d. ... but I don't know who they are, as I;v never gotten the chance to meet them, so long ago ... hope this may help ... R.I.P. hope you find a family or relation member ...

• Evelyn Caron
    August 11, 2014 - 23:29

This is such a sad story. I'm happy that someone is trying to find his relatives. R I P Gordon Noseworthy!

• Linda C
    August 11, 2014 - 19:43

A cousin of this man has been found! She is trying to reach the lady in Ontario.

• ernest caines
    August 10, 2014 - 16:46

There are a lot of noteworthy on the northern peninsula of newfoundland places like green island brook st Anthony

• Janelle
    August 10, 2014 - 15:16

He would have been about the right age for military enlistment for WWII, should check with the local legion, he may have been a member

• Linda C
    August 10, 2014 - 10:28

I have searched through some genealogical records and can't find a Gordon Noseworthy, born about 1928 in Newfoundland

• Anne Sheppard
    August 09, 2014 - 22:06

Geneology search turned up a family of noseworthys in greenbay gull island. With a gordon born abt 1927 or 28.. there names vera, claude, ford, violet, raymond, and mildred. The three last children were born in the 40s. Dont know if this is the family but maybe its worth a try. Good luck anne marie

• diane langdon
      August 11, 2014 - 13:15

I am from that family listed but I do have an uncle Gordon who lives here in newfoundland and is very much alive.Not from our family of noseworthys.

• anne marie
    August 09, 2014 - 22:00

1945 census Green Bay,Gull Island Noseworthy p Noseworthy priscilla Noseworthy gordon 18 Noseworthy clade 14 Noseworthy Vera 16 Noseworthy ford 11 Noseworthy Myrtle 8 Noseworthy violet 6 Noseworthy raymond 3 Noseworthy mildred 1 1/2 I do geneology i hope this helps There were atleast 2 others born the same year but there middle inital wasnt b. This one has no initial so its hard to tell if its your guy or not. Cheers Anne Marie.

• Amanda
      August 12, 2014 - 02:46

He is from Pouch Cove just outside St.John's. I knew him we purchased his childhood home 3yrs ago when he was home last.