Challenge Cup playoff matchups set

Mount Pearl and St. Lawrence to meet in semifinal, Feildians finished

Telegram Sports
Published on August 17, 2014

Mount Pearl’s Matthew Noseworthy (left) and Jake Warren (right) of the Holy Cross battle for the ball near the Mount Pearl net during first-half action of their Challenge Cup senior men’s soccer league match at the Gushue Sports Complex in Mount Pearl on Saturday evening. Holy Cross won 3-2.

©— Photo by Joe Gibbons/The Telegram

Scoring sensation Tyler Forsey won his second straight Molson-Coors Challenge Cup soccer scoring crown, but that is all Feildians Ernst & Young will have to celebrate this season as the league wound up its regular season over the weekend.
Forsey booted four goals Sunday as the Double Blues blanked the St. Lawrence Labatt Laurentians 4-0 Sunday at Centennial Field in St. Lawrence.

Feildians, however, finished last in the four-team Challenge Cup circuit and will sit and watch St. Lawrence and Mount Pearl That Pro Look Molson battle in the semifinal 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 29 at King George V Park in St. John’s.

The winner of that game gets to play defending champs Holy Cross — which earned a bye based on a first-place regular season finish — in the Challenge Cup final 2:30 Sunday afternoon, Aug. 31, at King George V.

Forsey, who netted an incredible 31 goals last season, finished the 2014 campaign with 14 goals, three more than Jake Warren of Holy Cross.

He scored at nine, 14, 20 and 90 minutes Sunday.

On Saturday, it was Darren Pike at 60 minutes and Jonathan Grant at 75 as the Laurentians defeated Feildians 2-1. Mike Dawe had the only goal for the visitors.

At King George V Sunday, Warren and Josh Hanrahan scored the goals as Holy Cross closed out its regular season with a 2-0 win over Mount Pearl.

Thomas Pieroway and Brandon Noseworthy shared the shutout.

In Mount Pearl Saturday, Holy Cross jumped out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Kyle Williams at 11 minutes, Jon Hawco at 52 and Warren at the 56-minute mark.

The home side eventually got goals from Justin Pickford at 76 minutes and Chad Seymour at 85, but not enough to get the tie or salvage a win.