CODE COVID: What the pandemic has taught us about long-term care
SaltWire Selects: Stories you don't want to miss
What you need to know about COVID-19 today
Continuing coverage: Mass shooting in Nova Scotia
Business Tool Kit 2021
Have you heard about the SaltWire News app?
Daily forecasts and weather facts from Cindy Day
The Heroes of 2020
She doesn't have a driver's licence, but she has a truck... from which she serves edible delights
The thought of opening a food truck has been with Grand Falls-Windsor's Emily Hewlett for quite a long time.
Since she was in Grade 6, the 16-year-old had a dream of turning her love of baking into a business.
Well, earlier this year, Hewlett’s dream came to fruition when she opened her Sweet Tails and Treats food truck.
With her dessert-themed venture, Hewlett provides customers with a delectable choice of deep-fried dough sweet tail, churros and crepes.
Her efforts haven’t only attracted attention from consumers of her creations. Earlier this month, Hewlett was announced as winner of the Youth Ventures Emerging Entrepreneur award.
Nicholas Mercer is a local journalism initiative reporter for central Newfoundland for SaltWire Network.
1. What is your full name?
Emily Mary Hewlett.
2. Where and when were you born?
January, 2004 in Guelph, Ont.
3. Where do you live today?
4. What is your favourite place in the world?
We went to Ireland last summer and I really liked it there. They had really good food and there is always nice stuff to see. So, I say Europe would be my favourite place in the world.
5. Who do you follow on social media?
I’m not a person who follows famous people and knows everything about them. Mostly, I just have my friends, which was really nice during (the early part of the COVID-19 pandemic) because we could still keep up together.
6. What would people be surprised to learn about you?
I have a food intolerance for sweets. I can’t eat sweets.
7. What has been your favourite year and why?
This year would be (my favourite year). I’ve always been excited to get my (driver’s) permit and because I’m 16 I got it in January. I’m due to get my licence next month.
8. What is the hardest thing that you have ever done?
Opening up the business in the middle of a pandemic.
9. Can you describe one experience that has changed your life?
Thanksgiving last year, we went out to my cousins and she has her own small business. We told her we wanted to open our own business and (it happened) that her friend was actually selling this food truck that we bought.
10. What is your greatest indulgence?
Smartfood (flavoured popcorn).
11. What is your favourite movie or book?
"Grease" or "Footloose."
12. What is your personal fashion statement?
I change how I dress. It matters how tired I am when I wake up in the morning.
13. How do you like to relax?
I relax by baking. Whenever I’m stressed in school or it's close to exams, I always have the kitchen filled with baked treats.
14. What are you reading or watching right now?
I’m watching "Grey’s Anatomy" for the third time.
15. What is your greatest fear?
I wouldn’t really know my greatest fear (but) I’m terrified of mice and spiders.
16. If you were singing karaoke what would be your song?
Anything older, like 2004 to 2010. I have a karaoke machine and all the songs I have are older songs.
17. What is your most treasured possession?
My pink bunny. It’s a stuffy I’ve had since I was a baby.
18. What physical or personality trait are you most grateful to a parent for?
My (love of) cooking and baking from my mom. Her mom did it, too.
19. Who are three people you would invite to join you for the dinner party of your dreams?
As I said, I’m not a big follower of celebrities and I don’t think I’d be able to pick three (famous people). I’d want my mom’s family. My grandmother died before I was born and my brother and sister are 22 years older than me. I would like to have a family dinner.
20. What is your best quality and what is your worst quality?
I guess (my best quality is) how determined I am. When I get something on my mind, I want it done. My worst is how bossy I am, which is a good quality, too. It's good for owning a business, but my friends get annoyed.