Top News

Residents evacuated after fire at seniors' home in Wellington

Wellington Fire Department Deputy Chief Leon Perry updates his crew from the scene of a fire that displaced around 50 residents of the Chez Nous Co-operative in Wellington Monday night.
Wellington Fire Department Deputy Chief Leon Perry updates his crew from the scene of a fire that displaced around 50 residents of the Chez Nous Co-operative in Wellington Monday night. - Alison Jenkins/Local Journalism Initiative Reporter
WELLINGTON, P.E.I. —

A fire at a Wellington seniors’ home displaced about 50 residents Monday night.

Wellington Fire Department got the call to the Chez Nous Co-Operative on Jan. 18 at 9:30 p.m.

In total, four departments battled the blaze for about three hours, said Wellington Deputy Fire Chief Leon Perry.

Tyne Valley, New London and Miscouche fire departments also answered the call.

“We’re lucky it happened when it did," said Perry at the scene Tuesday morning. "A lot of the residents were still up.”


UPDATE

Posted by News First P.E.I on Monday, 18 January 2021

- Posted by News First P.E.I on Monday, 18 January 2021


He also said the home’s evacuation plan paid off.

“Residents knew which doors to go out of. The staff were great, they did an excellent job to get everyone out,” said Perry.

School buses arrived to help take the residents to safety.

“We loaded up two, and just as we were looking for a third, I looked up and could see seven more waiting - the community support has been great.”

The home’s central areas like the kitchen and lobby sustained the most damage as the fire broke out in the basement underneath those rooms, said Perry.

A fire at the Chez Nous Co-Operative seniors’ home in Wellington displaced about 50 residents Monday night. - Alison Jenkins/Local Journalism Initiative Reporter
A fire at the Chez Nous Co-Operative seniors’ home in Wellington displaced about 50 residents Monday night. - Alison Jenkins/Local Journalism Initiative Reporter

None of the residents’ rooms were damaged by fire and fire firefighters were able to retrieve some personal belongings like hearing aids, glasses and dentures.

“I’m sure they won’t feel very comfortable without those items,” said Perry.

He added there is smoke damage throughout the facility.

Tuesday morning, the Fire Marshal’s Office was on the scene with security officers to secure the building.

“We’re at the ‘making the fire is still out’ stage,” said Deputy Fire Marshal John Chisholm as he cleared the site.

Alison Jenkins is a local journalism initiative reporter, a position funded by the federal government.

Did this story inform or enhance your perspective on this subject?
1 being least likely, and 10 being most likely

Recent Stories