A fire at the Carnell’s Funeral Home crematorium on Freshwater Road Tuesday night spread to the roof when flames somehow escaped the chimney.
Platoon chief Rick DeHann said the fire had apparently spread from the chimney of the crematorium to the adjoining roof while the facility was in use.
When personnel arrived on scene there was smoke and flame coming from the roof area near the chimney and firefighters quickly deployed hoses and ladders to access the fire. A chainsaw was also used to cut into the roof to get at flames inside the building. DeHann said there was minimal damage done to the building other than what firefighters had to inflict to make sure the fire was completely out.
There was one employee on scene at the time but there were no injuries.