Top News

Fire guts Topsail convenience store Saturday afternoon

No injuries

A convenience store in Conception Bay South was gutted by fire Saturday afternoon.

The fire started just before 4 p.m. at The Village Store on the main road and when firefighters arrived on scene, there was heavy smoke coming from the building. Chief John Heffernan of the Conception Bay South fire department told the Telegram there were also still people in the building when they arrived. He added that they were able to get the two occupants of the upstairs apartment, a man and woman and their cats, out safely.

The staff of the store were also able to get out of the building and there were no injuries to any of the occupants or staff.

Heffernan said the floor joists for the second storey were now compromised due to the fire damage and that his men were being cautious about entering the structure to hose down hot spots. He expected to be on scene for some time just to make sure the fire was completely out.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary had the road blocked in the area and were diverting traffic around the scene via side streets.


Recent Stories