Emergency response crews were at Memorial University Friday afternoon dealing with an evacuation, reported to be a propane leak at the chemistry-physics building. The building was reopened shortly after 4 p.m. and normal activities resumed.
St. John's Regional Fire Department, MUN Campus Enforcement and Patrol (CEP) and Royal Newfoundland Constabulary officers and Eastern Health paramedics responded.
Students and staff were evacuated from the building and gathered outside in a muster area. Crews went inside wearing breathing apparatus and MUN CEP had the area cordoned off with yellow tape.
The building's yelping alarm indicated a gas leak. Two staff members were escorted from the building and were tended to by paramedics. They were able to walk on their own accord. They are OK and did not require hospitalization.