Top News

Mighty Quinton Promotions withdraws Ribfest proposal

Coun. Jamie Korab said a bridge in Bowring Park by engineering giant Ove Arup deserves a little attention from the City of St. John’s.
Coun. Jamie Korab. - Ashley Fitzpatrick file photo/The Telegram

Peter Quinton of Mighty Quinton Promotions has withdrawn his proposal for a barbecue extravaganza in Churchill Park.

Coun. Jamie Korab confirmed the move on Tuesday, saying city staff had received a letter from Quinton withdrawing the application.

There’s no indication at this point if the event is being reimagined or rescheduled, according to Korab.

Quinton did not respond to a request for comment on Tuesday.

Korab, council’s special events lead, says with the right precautions Churchill Park can be more utilized than it is currently for larger-scale events.

“There could be more uses there. I understand the residents’ concern. From the city’s perspective, we checked with our staff and they had no issues with having that Ribfest there,” said Korab.

The event was scheduled to take place in Churchill Park from July 19-22. The event’s organizer had expected to see 2,500 people a day.

A decision about the event had been deferred by council after it was brought up at the May 9 committee of the whole council meeting.

Some residents in the area had raised concerns about noise and the effect the event could have on the grass at Churchill Park, given large vehicles would drive on the surface.

Korab says he is aware that other Ribfests held across the country have happened on grass fields, but pavement or concrete surfaces are also common.

david.maher@thetelegram.com

Twitter: DavidMaherNL

Recent Stories