Top News

UPDATED: St. John’s-bound passenger causes ruckus two days in a row

Halifax Stanfield International Airport
Halifax Stanfield International Airport - computer screenshot

A St. John’s man denied boarding due to drunkenness in March on a flight from Halifax to St. John’s caused such a disturbance again the next day that the man had to be escorted off the plane, according to documentation filed with Transport Canada.

Although the incident happened in mid-March, it was summarized in an aviation incident occurrence report Tuesday.
The drama happened on the tarmac at Stanfield International Airport in Halifax.

According to the report, the man, 41, was supposed to be en route from Nova Scotia to Newfoundland and Labrador on a WestJet flight on March 17, but was taken into custody after being denied boarding due to intoxication.

The next day, March 18, the passenger was given another chance and allowed onboard another flight.

However, during boarding, the passenger became upset and ran toward the flight deck.

The report said the passenger was calmed by flight attendants and sat back in a seat.

But then the passenger became upset again and ran toward the aft galley.

Based on that behaviour, crew members decided the person should not fly.

But when the passenger was escorted off, the passenger lunged at the operations lead and made threats. Police were called and the passenger was placed in a “no-go status.”

The report notes the details are preliminary and could be subject to change.

According to Corp. Dal Hutchinson, media relations officer for Halifax District RCMP, just before 1 p.m. on Saturday, March 17, the detachment responded to the Halifax airport to assist Halifax Regional Police, who had man in custody for being intoxicated in a public place.

The man was reportedly causing a disturbance prior to his flight about to leave for Newfoundland. Police say his level of intoxication, coupled with his disruptive behaviour, prevented him from being permitted to board the flight. He was held in police custody until later in the day, police say.

At 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, March 18, Halifax District RCMP were dispatched again to help Halifax Regional Police at the Halifax airport after a plane destined for St. John’s did not depart on time due to an intoxicated 41-year-old man being disruptive prior to the flight’s scheduled departure.

The man was taken into custody, where he remained until he sobered up again.

He was issued a summary offence ticket under the Nova Scotia Liquor Control Act for being intoxicated in a public place. The fine amount for an out-of-court settlement is $134.

WestJet would not comment on the incident.

Recent Stories