SaltWire's Ask a Journalist: You have questions, let's find some ...
The latest weather columns and browse beautiful photos from Cindy Day
SaltWire's cartoonists bring heart and humour to the news.
NOW Atlantic: Smart thinking for a changing world
The latest on Nova Scotia's mass shooting
What you need to know about COVID-19: May 29
Visit SaltWire.com for more of the stories you want.
Kevin Evans is now facing 20 charges against four women, in Newfoundland and Ontario
The last time Kevin Terry Evans appeared in court in St. John's was at the end of May, when he was facing 17 charges of crimes against three woman, here and in Ontario.
On Thursday, those numbers rose to 20 charges and four women.
Evans, 29, is alleged to have assaulted a woman in St. John's twice between Friday and Sunday, as well as threatened her life. He was arrested and taken into custody by the RNC.
Evans has indicated he wants to have a bail hearing, since the Crown is opposed to his release. He made a brief appearance before a provincial court judge, who postponed his case until Friday in order to give him time to find a surety.
As reported last spring, a woman in Ontario and another in St. John's told The Telegram they had met Evans on online dating sites. He is from St. John's, but was living in Ontario at the time.
The local woman said she had been attracted to his charm, but that it wasn't long before he began emotionally abusing her and, later, physically abusing her.
"People would say, 'You're such a cute couple,'" the woman told The Telegram. "But they knew nothing about what was going on behind closed doors."
She said the woman in Ontario eventually contacted her on Facebook and they began comparing experiences, realizing Evans had been dating them both for a period of time. When the Ontario woman said she was going to the police with her evidence against Evans, the local woman said it gave her the strength to do the same, and she provided police with a statement and other documentation.
Evans was charged in Ontario last January with eight counts of assault and one count each of assault with a knife, sexual assault and damaging property against his ex-girlfriend there. He was also charged with distributing an intimate image of another Ontario woman without her consent. He had already moved back to this province, so a warrant was issued for his arrest, though it was limited to Ontario and did not give police here the authority to apprehend him.
Evans was charged in mid-April with three counts of assaulting and two counts of choking the St. John's woman, and police released him with a promise to appear in court a month later. Before that date came, an Ontario judge expanded the jurisdiction for Evans' arrest, and RNC officers took him into custody.
Police officers from Ontario arrived to escort Evans back there to answer to his original charges. He was released on bail and returned to St. John's, where he was ordered to abide by conditions, including that he live with family members and have no contact with three women.
None of the allegations against Evans have yet been tested in court.
The Ontario woman spoke to The Telegram, but a judge subsequently implemented a temporary publication ban on the details of the charges involving her that have been presented in court there.
Evans did not respond to a request from The Telegram for comment at the time of the original report.