What do you do if you feel like your batteries are hotter than normal?
Or have you noticed they may be leaking, making funny sounds, change their shape or are giving off a strange smell?
The St. John’s Regional Fire Department is reminding the public of these issues specifically when it comes to using lithium ion batteries.
These batteries are used to power so many of our devices today, items like our smartphones, laptops, scooters, e-cigarettes, smoke alarms, toys and even our automobiles.
They are able to store a large amount of power in a small space and if not used the correct way they can be dangerous. In addition, sometimes these products can be defective from manufacturing and could overheat, catch fire or explode.
The following is a list of safety tips consumers should be aware of and includes:
• Purchase and use devices that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
• Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Only use the battery that is designed for the device.
• Put batteries in the device the right way.
• Only use the charging cord that came with the device.
• Do not charge a device under your pillow, on your bed or on a couch.
• Keep batteries at room temperature.
• Do not place batteries in direct sunlight or keep them in hot vehicles.
• Store batteries away from anything that can catch fire.
If a battery develops any of the issues listed here, stop using it immediately. Should these problems include giving off an odor, change in color, too much heat, change in shape, leaking, or odd noises, if it is safe to do so, move the device away from anything that can catch fire and if necessary call 9-1-1 if a fire does occur.
In addition, people are asked to properly dispose of the batteries. Don’t put them in the trash, rather use a recycling facility where your respective municipality can dispose of them properly. And don’t put the discarded batteries in piles.